Astrorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I want to do biology, chemistry and psychology in A-levels and I was wondering what the best materials to get are for each subject and what resources to I could use to understand the materials.
Also what’s Edexcel and aqa? I’ve been seeing it a lot.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Why do you want to take these as a private candidate? Taking Science A levels as a private candidate is very expensive as you still have to find an exam centre willing to accept you for the assessed practicals./

There are 4 exams boards whose specifications are approved for teaching in English state schools: AQA, Eduqas, Pearson Edexcel and OCR. All of them offer the main subjects but there isn't a huge difference between them in content as they all have to satisfy the requirements Ofqual lays down.
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Astrorace)
I want to do biology, chemistry and psychology in A-levels and I was wondering what the best materials to get are for each subject and what resources to I could use to understand the materials.
Also what’s Edexcel and aqa? I’ve been seeing it a lot.
Have you not heard of exam boards during GCSE?

Its like OCR, WJEC, all the others but with different content and question styles
Astrorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I didn't do GCSES but I did the equivalent. I just moved to the UK so I'm considering A levels. Thanks for replying
Last edited by Astrorace; 1 month ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Astrorace)
I didn't do GCSES but I did the equivalent. I just moved to the UK so I'm considering A levels.
A level biology and chemistry both have something called "practicals" which are a place you are assessed. You would, as said above, have to find somewhere willing to let you use their materials, chemicals, etc and assess you, which could be expensive. Are you in the age range to transfer to a UK school? Otherwise if you want to go to uni, there are access courses. What are your plans/ideas?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads