What do I do if I want to suspend my course instead of withdraw?

Watch
Luwam Alem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I'm in a really bad situation right now. A couple days ago, I decided to withdraw from law degree course due to feeling depressed for the past year. I only just filled in the form and student support at my university said that they would get back when everything has been finalised. After giving it some thought, I feel as though a suspension would be more beneficial to me and a break from my course would help me get back on track. The problem is, I decided this on the day of my exam and so I did not attend any of the second year exams. I don't know what to do, im completely lost as to what to do. Not to mention, the financial aspect of this. Does the university inform student finance of my decision and they contact me themselves or do I have to contact them to discuss this? I would like to return to the course if possible but, i don't know how it all works and if I Do suspend the course would all my prior achievements (modedule grades in second be dismissed) and I would have to do all that again plus the exams or am I able to just do the exams?

I would really appreciate any feedback/advice.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Luwam Alem)
Hi, I'm in a really bad situation right now. A couple days ago, I decided to withdraw from law degree course due to feeling depressed for the past year. I only just filled in the form and student support at my university said that they would get back when everything has been finalised. After giving it some thought, I feel as though a suspension would be more beneficial to me and a break from my course would help me get back on track. The problem is, I decided this on the day of my exam and so I did not attend any of the second year exams. I don't know what to do, im completely lost as to what to do. Not to mention, the financial aspect of this. Does the university inform student finance of my decision and they contact me themselves or do I have to contact them to discuss this? I would like to return to the course if possible but, i don't know how it all works and if I Do suspend the course would all my prior achievements (modedule grades in second be dismissed) and I would have to do all that again plus the exams or am I able to just do the exams?

I would really appreciate any feedback/advice.
Hi Luwam,

You can temporarily suspend your studies to take a year out and then return. You should speak with your university and let them know that you'd rather temporarily suspend.

Please read this leaflet for more information on the process http://ow.ly/d/8pcX
We will need your university to notify us.
Thanks, Isaac
Luwam Alem
Rep:
?
Hi, thank you for replying. I spoke to my university earlier today and told them that I would rather suspend my course than withdraw. They allowed this and I filled in the suspension form. I'm just confused as to what this means if terms of finances. I'm supposed to return to study in the following academic year, but since I have already completed my modules and only have exams to retake in the second year what does this mean for my finances? Also, the student finance office at my university said that student finance will send me a letter two weeks from the day that I suspended, so do I not have to contact them myself?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, thank you for replying. I spoke to my university earlier today and told them that I would rather suspend my course than withdraw. They allowed this and I filled in the suspension form. I'm just confused as to what this means if terms of finances. I'm supposed to return to study in the following academic year, but since I have already completed my modules and only have exams to retake in the second year what does this mean for my finances? Also, the student finance office at my university said that student finance will send me a letter two weeks from the day that I suspended, so do I not have to contact them myself?
When are you suspending and when are you returning? No you don't need to contact us about the suspension.
Thanks, Isaac
Luwam Alem
Rep:
?
Hi, Oh okay, so i just wait for student finance to contact me themselves via a letter? I just filled the suspension form today and I'm assuming that the university has or will notify student finance of this on my behalf. As far as the return date, it just says on the form that I will be returning in the following academic year so that would be the coming September. Also, I recently applied for the academic year 2021/22 before I decided to suspend so will that be taken into consideration and be cancelled? Thanks, Luwam.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, Oh okay, so i just wait for student finance to contact me themselves via a letter? I just filled the suspension form today and I'm assuming that the university has or will notify student finance of this on my behalf. As far as the return date, it just says on the form that I will be returning in the following academic year so that would be the coming September. Also, I recently applied for the academic year 2021/22 before I decided to suspend so will that be taken into consideration and be cancelled? Thanks, Luwam.
Good morning, yes the university will notify us and then we will suspend the application.

If you are returning September 2021 then your 21/22 application is correct and won't need to be cancelled
Thanks, Isaac
Luwam Alem
Rep:
?
Good morning,I just spoke to my university and yes, it does seem as though I will be returning in September and all my assessments from the second year will be carried over. Meaning, that I will only have exams to do when I return so, even though my student finance application was originally for the the third will that just be put in place for the repeated year. Hopefully that makes sense. It just that, I will only be repeating the exams and not the other modules so I'm just not sure how that works. Thanks,Luwam
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good morning,I just spoke to my university and yes, it does seem as though I will be returning in September and all my assessments from the second year will be carried over. Meaning, that I will only have exams to do when I return so, even though my student finance application was originally for the the third will that just be put in place for the repeated year. Hopefully that makes sense. It just that, I will only be repeating the exams and not the other modules so I'm just not sure how that works. Thanks,Luwam
If you are only repeating exams you will be classed as not being in attendance and won't be entitled to funding for that year.
Thanks, Isaac
Luwam Alem
Rep:
?
Hi,Okay thank you and will the university notify student finance that I will only be doing exams when I return if that is the case and this will be mentioned or taken in account when they send me a new entitlement letter. Also, if I'm not entitled to funding for when I return in the next academic year, will the (previously stated 2021/22 application still be in affect)?Thanks,Luwam.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,Okay thank you and will the university notify student finance that I will only be doing exams when I return if that is the case and this will be mentioned or taken in account when they send me a new entitlement letter. Also, if I'm not entitled to funding for when I return in the next academic year, will the (previously stated 2021/22 application still be in affect)?Thanks,Luwam.
will the university notify student finance that I will only be doing exams when I return
Please ask them to do this.

Also, if I'm not entitled to funding for when I return in the next academic year, will the (previously stated 2021/22 application still be in affect)?
No you won't receive any funding if you are classed as not being in attendance. Your 21/22 application should be cancelled if that's the case. Please ask your university to mention this when they contact us.

Thanks, Isaac
Luwam Alem
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
will the university notify student finance that I will only be doing exams when I return
Please ask them to do this.

Also, if I'm not entitled to funding for when I return in the next academic year, will the (previously stated 2021/22 application still be in affect)?
No you won't receive any funding if you are classed as not being in attendance. Your 21/22 application should be cancelled if that's the case. Please ask your university to mention this when they contact us.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi again,

I just had a conversation on the phone with student finance earlier regarding my suspension of the second year so that I can return on September 21/22 and they said that I would have to send them a letter and ask my university or get evidence from a doctor to support my reasons for suspending the year. I was told that the university would already notify student finance of this so I'm not sure why I would have to do this also. I explained to student finance that although I had already completed my assessments for the second year and that they would be carried over, I would still have to attend classes. They said that once this has been assessed, that I can apply again for the repeated year. I'm just a little confused. Am I just understanding this wrong?

Thanks,
Luwam.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi again,

I just had a conversation on the phone with student finance earlier regarding my suspension of the second year so that I can return on September 21/22 and they said that I would have to send them a letter and ask my university or get evidence from a doctor to support my reasons for suspending the year. I was told that the university would already notify student finance of this so I'm not sure why I would have to do this also. I explained to student finance that although I had already completed my assessments for the second year and that they would be carried over, I would still have to attend classes. They said that once this has been assessed, that I can apply again for the repeated year. I'm just a little confused. Am I just understanding this wrong?

Thanks,
Luwam.
We don't need any letter from you. If you suspended due to health reasons your university can mention this when they contact us.

Your university need to class you as being in attendance for you to receive funding in 21/22.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.49%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.35%

Watched Threads