Will teachers still wear masks in school?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I get government guidance has changed saying masks aren't needed for students anymore but will teachers still have to wear them?

At my friends school they're still wearing masks most of the time.

My aunt is a teacher and I know she hasn't had a vaccine yet and that teachers haven't been prioritised so im worried we're going to end up home learning again. like, they are in a room with over a hundred of us each day I don't get what's changed since last week? I was actually feeling much safer and comfortable with masks, wed got used to them now its going back
abisola_a
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I get government guidance has changed saying masks aren't needed for students anymore but will teachers still have to wear them?

At my friends school they're still wearing masks most of the time.

My aunt is a teacher and I know she hasn't had a vaccine yet and that teachers haven't been prioritised so im worried we're going to end up home learning again. like, they are in a room with over a hundred of us each day I don't get what's changed since last week? I was actually feeling much safer and comfortable with masks, wed got used to them now its going back
For my school, students have a choice to no longer wear masks and teachers only need to wear masks while they’re in close proximity to the class.
So 2m distance = no mask
In corridors or lunch room or a teacher is close to students = wear masks
simxne_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We are only allowed to take masks off in lessons (classrooms), but we were told that if there was anyone vulnerable in the room, we would be told to keep our masks on. I think teachers will probably take masks off if they are distanced from the class, ie two metres.
Anonymous #1
Does 2 metres really make that much of a difference though if theres no ventilation? we have classed that can sometimes last two hours so isn't that just more and more time for things to build up in the room?

I like that there's been a mention of wearing if there's someone vulnerable in the room. my school isn't doing that even though I have some friends who needed to shield until very recently and haven't had vaccines due to age.
abisola_a
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does 2 metres really make that much of a difference though if theres no ventilation? we have classed that can sometimes last two hours so isn't that just more and more time for things to build up in the room?

I like that there's been a mention of wearing if there's someone vulnerable in the room. my school isn't doing that even though I have some friends who needed to shield until very recently and haven't had vaccines due to age.
It all isn’t ideal. However we do have a rule to have all windows and doors open (despite weather) for as much ventilation as we can get. Also, there are fewer kids in my school now as it’s a sixth form and year 13s have finished school so it’s only year 12s in school no.
Hopefully students and teachers continue to take the lateral flow test twice a week to help too?
ItsStarLordMan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They shouldn't have to.
simxne_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

In my classes, doors and windows tend to be kept open (even if it is quite cold) and they allow us to wear coats in lessons if it is particularly cold. But yes, obviously the chances of transmission are increased and it is a risk. It is varying slightly from school to school and I do get that it feels unsafe. As someone else said, hopefully people continue with testing? I know that doesn't make up for everything else, but at least it does help. (Since this is going to be in place from tomorrow, I'm not really sure what it will be like though).
Last edited by simxne_; 4 weeks ago
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mask worshipers make me laugh.

For individuals they do very little to mitigate the chances of spreading/ catching COVID.

Over the population as a whole, mask wearing may reduce the transmission of COVID.
abisola_a
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)

For individuals they do very little to mitigate the chances of spreading/ catching COVID.

Over the population as a whole, mask wearing may reduce the transmission of COVID.
Something is always better than nothing. And especially in a time where everything is literally out of our control, for some people the choice of wearing a mask is the only thing they can take refuge in?
ItsStarLordMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by glassalice)

Thank you for this!! :adore::lol:
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Does this apply to university students too?
ItsStarLordMan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abisola_a)
Something is always better than nothing. And especially in a time where everything is literally out of our control, for some people the choice of wearing a mask is the only thing they can take refuge in?
Is it though? If masks have no effect, then they're not better. Things aren't out of control. The whole situation was overhyped by the media, to fill people with panic. They use stories and statistics to fit their narrative and scare people into believing things. It has already been revealed that the death and case rates were inaccurate. The news has a history of skewing information and putting it in a way to hide some sort of truth. Yes, there is a virus. Yes, people get sick and some people die. But realistically, how accurate are the statistics? Is it really as bad as they're saying? I think not. I actually believe that fearing this virus and all the regulations has done more damage than the virus itself. And for so long, I was made to feel like rubbish because I thought this. But seeing the millions of people protesting and getting on with their lives has shown that a hell of a lot more people agree with me than I thought. It turns out that I know more people that are against masks and lockdown than those that are for it. But of course, this doesn't get put on the media. The protests don't get reported, at least not realistically. We don't need to seek refuge, we need to seek the truth.
Anonymous #1
Didn't want a debate to start - I just wanted to ask the question.

It isn't about you or people you know even, it's about those people at greater risk of not just dying but the increasing occurrence of what's now being termed as 'Long COVID.' Children are included in suffering with more long term effects.

It's all about reducing risk, not eliminating it and wearing something is better than nothing when you're stuck in a cramped room of 32 other people for hours on end with no adequate ventilation.

I have a different perspective because of my circumstances, as do you. I don't think the economy should have been shut down how it has been. If the government just made masks in schools compulsory in September or had a two week half term in October then it would have decreased the massive transmission increases which were seen post September (unlikely these were inflated as it's in the gov. interests to keep schools open) and potentially stopped the need for the Jan-March school closures. The NHS is overwhelmed each winter, they should have known better than to add to that.

I have two family members that died of COVID and a parent works in the local hospital where body's mounted up and they had to create additional make-shift morgues.

It's not 'mask worshiping' or 'scare mongering' to acknowledge that there is a potential to become very unwell and possibly die as a result of the virus.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by abisola_a)
Someone needs to be reminding people of the facts. Things with an evidence bases are better than nothing.

In the public general overestimate the effectiveness of masks. This is probably dangerous.

By the way, there are other things that individuals can do to reduce the risk of becoming seriously ill, such as loosing excess weight, eating a balanced diet and socially distancing where ever you are able to.....

ItsStarLordMan it's basically a cult.
Last edited by glassalice; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (92)
28.48%
No (231)
71.52%

Watched Threads