The Student Room Group

Cannulas squeamish

Hi,

I want to become a student nurse but cannulas make me squeamish like I don’t like when the needles goes in the vein it makes me feel sick. I want to become a paediatric nurse but because of this squeamishness to cannulas will I be able to become a nurse. How often do nurses have to do them and do you have to do them if you feel sick looking at them
Try looking for an expert that might help you overcome that fear.
Original post by Genomics3235
Hi,

I want to become a student nurse but cannulas make me squeamish like I don’t like when the needles goes in the vein it makes me feel sick. I want to become a paediatric nurse but because of this squeamishness to cannulas will I be able to become a nurse. How often do nurses have to do them and do you have to do them if you feel sick looking at them

There's nothing to worry about with this as you'll be shown it till you can do it yourself.
Find a good vein is the thing and then put it into it slowly and before you know it's in patient arm or wherever area you putting it.

As a paediatric nurse you'll be required to know this so it important you do it and you will have 3 years to get it right and over the fear of doing this,

I'm doing these regular in my job as a midwife and it like second nature to me now. I don't feel screamish as believe me if I was then I wouldn't be a midwife delivering babies as see more blood than most nurses will see.

How often you do cannunals is obviously depends on nature of patient.
You generally have to change them every 2 - 3 days while patient in hospital.
It is much less common for nurses to insert cannulas in paediatrics than in adult medicine. It is much more often the doctors that put it in.

However you will likely have to assist in distracting/restraining the child whilst the cannula is put in but you can look away. It is likely you will get used to it with more exposure though.
Don’t hate
Cannulate
Also what about excessive sweating because of the light coloured uniforms I’m scared that I will sweat through my uniform and scrubs any tips on how to get over this I wear deodorant and antiperspirant and shower regularly
Also what about excessive sweating because of the light coloured uniforms I’m scared that I will sweat through my uniform and scrubs any tips on how to get over this I wear deodorant and antiperspirant and shower regularly

How do you know you'll be wearing light colour tunic or scrub tops as every hospital trust has different colours for students as from white to dark colours.

You doing what you can do with the things you are doing
Try talking to your doctor on this if not yet done so okay - find out what causing it..!!
Hi,

@Emily_B
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B

It’s usually when I’m under pressure I get stressed and start sweating

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending