The Student Room Group

Mathematics

Back in summer 2019, I did GCSE Foundation Maths AQA and I got a grade 3, which means I failed it. However, I re-did my GCSE Maths on November and I received a grade 4, but I did Higher Maths with the Edexcel exam board and I received a grade 4.

Summer 2019:

Paper 1: 42/80
Paper 2: 30/80
Paper 3: 26/80. <———— These were my marks.

Total: 89 marks

Required marks for a grade 4: 122 marks (Yikes, I was off by 33 marks)

My question is am I stupid for making easy mistakes or was it really hard to achieve a grade 4 in GCSE Maths Foundation?
For someone who does Higher Edexcel Maths, I would say you found that you got more scores in the Edexcel Maths because the standards for the grades are lower as the questions are harder whereas in AQA, the standards are higher but the questions are more specific so it's harder to get the questions right and gain marks. Also, in Edexcel, most questions are based on the basics but just layered up so maybe that is why. Edexcel is hard but it's easy to gain marks as your working out can get you a few marks even if you got the answer wrong and AQA is really specific with the working out and answer. However, it could be that since you re-sit your exams, you knew the type of question that could come up or you may have practised more on the ones that you knew had to improve or the paper was a lot easier, to begin with?
You should definitely see the specification to see where you may be lacking or how different the specifications are from each other.
Hope it helps! (:
Don't worry over time, everything will get easier! Congrats on passing by the way. Keep on working hard! (:
Original post by RosesOnRaindrops
Back in summer 2019, I did GCSE Foundation Maths AQA and I got a grade 3, which means I failed it. However, I re-did my GCSE Maths on November and I received a grade 4, but I did Higher Maths with the Edexcel exam board and I received a grade 4.

Summer 2019:

Paper 1: 42/80
Paper 2: 30/80
Paper 3: 26/80. <———— These were my marks.

Total: 89 marks

Required marks for a grade 4: 122 marks (Yikes, I was off by 33 marks)

My question is am I stupid for making easy mistakes or was it really hard to achieve a grade 4 in GCSE Maths Foundation?

In total, you've scored 98/240 which is equivalent to 41%
and since a 4 is a standard pass, and 41% is below 50% - I don't think you'll get a grade 4 for your math GCSE
Original post by Kundana Amudala
In total, you've scored 98/240 which is equivalent to 41%
and since a 4 is a standard pass, and 41% is below 50% - I don't think you'll get a grade 4 for your math GCSE

Are you weird? I did get a grade 4 in GCSE Maths. Did you not read my post properly?

Originally, I scored 89/240, not 98/240. You can see all of this information in my original post.
Original post by RosesOnRaindrops
Are you weird? I did get a grade 4 in GCSE Maths. Did you not read my post properly?

Originally, I scored 89/240, not 98/240. You can see all of this information in my original post.

Oh, I apologise, I wasn't able to view the whole question.
Sorry about that!!
Original post by Kundana Amudala
Oh, I apologise, I wasn't able to view the whole question.
Sorry about that!!

No, I should apologise I took what you said way out of proportion.

Quick Reply