Mb12345678
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I really need help on this question - i have no clue where to start. It’s an AS statistics question.

In a game, a player can score 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 points each time the game is played.
The random variable S, representing the player's score, has the following probability distribution where a, b and c are constants.

S 0 1 2 3 4
P(S=s) a b с 0.1 0.15
(This is a probability table)

The probability of scoring less than 2 points is twice the probability of scoring at least 2 points.
Each game played is independent of previous games played.
John plays the game twice and adds the two scores together to get a total.
Calculate the probability that the total is 6 points.
Last edited by Mb12345678; 4 weeks ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As it is a question about maths, I moved it from football to the maths forum for you!

If I got a clue, I will give you an answer.
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
First you need to find the values of a,b,c. You know the sum of probabilities must be 1. Use the fact that they've given you two probabilities to get a total of 3 equations in 3 unknowns (a,b,c) this will start you off
Last edited by Y1_UniMaths; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise