isaac physics bulbs and power question help!

Watch
abisola_a
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Looking for any guidance in tackling this question - I’ve tried it a few times but always end up with two unknowns instead of one.

In the circuit below, a bulb is in parallel with a resistor and with the pair then in series with an identical resistor. This is connected to a voltage source which gives a potential of V=230V. The resistance of the bulb is Rb =10.0Ω.

Name:  28B514F2-14CD-4551-82EC-6975899018C1.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  11.9 KB
Assume that the bulb is ohmic such that its resistance is constant and does not depend on the current flowing through it, unlike a real filament bulb.

What must R be in order for the power dissipated in the bulb to be 100W?
Last edited by abisola_a; 4 weeks ago
lordaxil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can start by finding the total current in the main circuit loop (call it I_t) by using Ohm's law and the formulae for resistors in parallel and series. Then, find the proportion of that current passing through the bulb (call it I_b). Power dissipated in bulb is then given by I^2R - set equal to 100 W and solve for R.

Solution attached if you need some hints.
Attached files
abisola_a
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lordaxil)
You can start by finding the total current in the main circuit loop (call it I_t) by using Ohm's law and the formulae for resistors in parallel and series. Then, find the proportion of that current passing through the bulb (call it I_b). Power dissipated in bulb is then given by I^2R - set equal to 100 W and solve for R.

Solution attached if you need some hints.
Thank you so much for your help. I finally managed to work through the question and got the right answer.
Last edited by abisola_a; 4 weeks ago
lordaxil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads