The Student Room Group

How to become a detective?

I do plan on going to uni to study law but becoming a barrister is very difficult so this is my backup plan.

I’d like to join the police. I know they are only TV shows but I think I’ve watched every single police show running and I just want to become a detective or something but you don’t really hear of anyone doing this in the UK it’s like it’s a secret or something. How do you become a detective obviously you’ll have to have experience in the police first but I mean after that is it something you apply for or is it a promotional thing that only certain people are picked for? Or do I have to study a certain course and uni?
I don’t know about regional forces but London has a direct entry detective programme. You need a degree I believe (in any subject), but if successful in applying you’re trained as a PC and then quickly to a detective.

What area do you live in? It depends on which force you come under.
Reply 2
Original post by MatthewAteYou
I don’t know about regional forces but London has a direct entry detective programme. You need a degree I believe (in any subject), but if successful in applying you’re trained as a PC and then quickly to a detective.

What area do you live in? It depends on which force you come under.

I live in Durham, it’s near Newcastle NE of England. What do you mean what force? I doubt I live in the right area the NE gets f*ck all in terms of opportunities.
Original post by Ivyreign
I do plan on going to uni to study law but becoming a barrister is very difficult so this is my backup plan.

I’d like to join the police. I know they are only TV shows but I think I’ve watched every single police show running and I just want to become a detective or something but you don’t really hear of anyone doing this in the UK it’s like it’s a secret or something. How do you become a detective obviously you’ll have to have experience in the police first but I mean after that is it something you apply for or is it a promotional thing that only certain people are picked for? Or do I have to study a certain course and uni?

Heyy

It's great to have a backup plan! Another suggestion that you could also look at would be any Policing and Criminology courses that are available. This allows you to fast track through the Police Service both in rank and profession starting at the bottom if you wish to be operational. If you were ever considering a city/country move this course is offered in Edinburgh, Scotland, and would allow you to work for Police Scotland, for example as an analyst doing cases but in the back office, so it would be worthwhile researching to see if this is something you would be interested in doing.

https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-policing-and-criminology-undergraduate-fulltime

I hope this helps. best of luck with your decision!

Thanks

Steph @ ENU
Heya,

I can help you with the application for BSc Professional Policing at The University of Law. They have an amazing crime scene suite available in London.
This course is licensed by the College of Policing as a Pre-join Degree in Professional Policing, which means it can be your first step towards becoming a Police Constable.
Please message me if you need assistance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending