username5675536
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Im taking a gap year from university before making any commitments & to also save some money since I was considering studying in London. I got offers from UAL, Westminster, Ravensbourne, UCA and Hertfordshire. Please be honest with help here because it’s subsequently put me in a super dark place thinking about my future (or lets say lack of).

After telling everyone I want to do film for a career (not even directly directing just working on sets in production or anything) I figured out nobody approves. My friends pretty much make fun of me by saying ill be homeless in 10 years whilst they’re all successful. I know they’re joking but it’s made me seriously self-conscious aboutmy career choices. I don’t want to wound up homeless if that actually is the case or with a dead end job working at tesco or something. I currently study a media btec which was a stupid idea considering i did well enough in my GCSES to do a-levels but oh well its too late now so I’ll just work with what I’ve got (predicted the top grade if thats any help/ relevance to this).

The thing is, I don’t want to do anything else. The idea of anything else aside from acting (wouldn’t get into drama school due to lack of credit so thats out the picture as a degree) does not interest me. This whole thing is making me really down as it is all I think about 24/7. I just don’t know what to do.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your friends sound like ********s. I wouldn’t let my friends be homeless if they were struggling and I certainly wouldn’t try to make them feel bad about trying to get into a career that they would enjoy.

The film industry isn’t an easy option but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad one.

Use your gap year well getting involved with lots of bafta/bfi/screenskills/4film networking events and activities, get to know other film students and recent graduates as much as you can.

And maybe look for some new friends who don’t make you feel like **** for studying and going for a career you want to do.
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Congrats on your offers! As the previous user mentioned, networking and working on your own short films is the best way to get into the industry (aside from nepotism). Out of the universities listed, I would say UAL is the best for networking (from what I've heard) however all are in/near London so you'll be at an advantage at most of them.

If you wanted to study something else, some English and languages degrees include film modules. Remember that a lot of graduate-level jobs only ask for a degree in any subject, and the film industry in particular is more focused on past work.

My advice would be to make your own short films - documentaries and stop-motion animations could be a good place to start as you don't need to find actors etc - and try to build an online presence from there. If you haven't decided shortly and you want to take another year out you could look for jobs within the BFI or as a runner to help build a network before uni.

Hope that some of this helps
username5675536
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArtisticScreech)
Congrats on your offers! As the previous user mentioned, networking and working on your own short films is the best way to get into the industry (aside from nepotism). Out of the universities listed, I would say UAL is the best for networking (from what I've heard) however all are in/near London so you'll be at an advantage at most of them.

If you wanted to study something else, some English and languages degrees include film modules. Remember that a lot of graduate-level jobs only ask for a degree in any subject, and the film industry in particular is more focused on past work.

My advice would be to make your own short films - documentaries and stop-motion animations could be a good place to start as you don't need to find actors etc - and try to build an online presence from there. If you haven't decided shortly and you want to take another year out you could look for jobs within the BFI or as a runner to help build a network before uni.

Hope that some of this helps
Thankyou! Im getting a camera soon so i can experiment with clay animation & making new short films I’ll just act in myself to build up my portfolio. Do you know any websites or anything I could use to apply to be a runner etc?
username5675536
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Your friends sound like ********s. I wouldn’t let my friends be homeless if they were struggling and I certainly wouldn’t try to make them feel bad about trying to get into a career that they would enjoy.

The film industry isn’t an easy option but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad one.

Use your gap year well getting involved with lots of bafta/bfi/screenskills/4film networking events and activities, get to know other film students and recent graduates as much as you can.

And maybe look for some new friends who don’t make you feel like **** for studying and going for a career you want to do.
Thankyou for your reply! Yeah, they arnt the nicest but im waiting until university to make some new friends since itll be hard to cut ties directly considering how long I’ve known them.

Do you know any useful sites that advertise events I could get involved in? I’ve started signing up to workshops for a start
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by keeportt)
Thankyou for your reply! Yeah, they arnt the nicest but im waiting until university to make some new friends since itll be hard to cut ties directly considering how long I’ve known them.

Do you know any useful sites that advertise events I could get involved in? I’ve started signing up to workshops for a start
BFI, bafta, screenskills all run networking events.
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by keeportt)
Thankyou! Im getting a camera soon so i can experiment with clay animation & making new short films I’ll just act in myself to build up my portfolio. Do you know any websites or anything I could use to apply to be a runner etc?
My First Job in Film is one (you can sign up to email alerts), there are probably others. For acting there is StarNow which is £5 per month I think
easybullet3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Follow your hopes and dreams.
Whenever people say they want to have a career in the arts, Family and friends usually say: "whats your back up plan?"
When people want a career in marketing or business or maths or history, nobody ever asks what their back up plan will be !!

its a highly bias world (full of capitalists) which have been brainwashed into thinking that 'if its not business, then you need a back up plan'.

if David Bowie had a back up plan, maybe he would have got the office job and not had time for his music.
if half the directors in the world listened to their family or friends, they would never suceeded.

in life you make a goal and aim towards it.
if your goal resonates with you life purpose or happiness etc, then it will be easier to achieve.

But money should not be the focus.
Focus on the happiness you will have from doing this sort of work.
Money will come as a result of your journey.

you know yourself better than anyone on this planet.
your friends only know the 'you' which you have shown them.
They dont know the multidimensional 'you'.
Last edited by easybullet3; 1 month ago
Koreeda
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there, if it's any help - I studied film at uni and I am not homeless!

It didn't lead me to Hollywood or any red carpets, but that's more through personal circumstances and choices really.

When I told people what I studied all I ever heard was how hard it would be or how unemployable I'd be. Don't listen to any of that. Do what you want to do, do what you care about and do what you're good at. It's a more sensible plan than people realise because you're more likely to do well at something you're really committed to.

Also - creative skills are much more transferable than people think. Every job I've done since uni has made use of my film making skills in some way or another. Video production is a wide reaching industry with lots of opportunities. You'll be surprised at where it might take you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads