any tips on how to do well on alevel maths

Watch
tahrimah55
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey,

I am struggling with alevel maths and have an exam in 3 days, so any help will be appreciated
domesticengineer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same with my daughter. If you know what topics then revise them as much as you can - and do as many past papers as you can and look at the answer sheets. Good luck.
..M..
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like above comment, just do as many practice questions as possible really! Out of curiosity how has your school/collage gone about the maths exams? How many papers have you had and do they include all the topics? I’ve heard that some places have made it easier for students but for mine we had two papers, one with ALL the pure chapters and one with ALL the stats chapters and we all think they went terribly lol 🙈
tahrimah55
Rep:
?
(Original post by ..M..)
Like above comment, just do as many practice questions as possible really! Out of curiosity how has your school/collage gone about the maths exams? How many papers have you had and do they include all the topics? I’ve heard that some places have made it easier for students but for mine we had two papers, one with ALL the pure chapters and one with ALL the stats chapters and we all think they went terribly lol 🙈
We had 6 mini tests for pure maths on specific topics, such as integration and differentiation, and 3 mini tests for applied maths ( 2 on stats and 2 on mechanics). Next week we have 1 full alevel maths paper for pure and 1 full paper for applied.
tahrimah55
Rep:
?
(Original post by domesticengineer)
Same with my daughter. If you know what topics then revise them as much as you can - and do as many past papers as you can and look at the answer sheets. Good luck
thank you!
..M..
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tahrimah55)
We had 6 mini tests for pure maths on specific topics, such as integration and differentiation, and 3 mini tests for applied maths ( 2 on stats and 2 on mechanics). Next week we have 1 full alevel maths paper for pure and 1 full paper for applied.
Wow that’s a lot of tests!! It’s sounds like it must have been hard work but I wish my school had done it like this so we had more opportunities to show off our skills rather than simply these two mocks and two we did in October 😞 Are all of them contributing towards your grade or are the small ones just practice for the full papers? Good luck by the way x
domesticengineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think my daughter will be doing in total about 5 maths exams - this week is two pure maths exams. Hers have all gone pretty badly too! They're the papers from last years A level. So much for no exams! She's basically doing full A levels from last year with no study time, massive gaps in her education (her school didn't do any online learning for first 4 month lock down, no catch up despite asking for it, and then it was hit and miss in the second lockdown). So basically doing A levels after only doing half of sixth form. It would normally be 6 terms for 6th form - she has only done two full terms and bits of other ones. She was an A student before the pandemic and now I worry she might fail the lot. It's been an inconsistant educational experience all over the UK, and the assessments are inconsistant too. I hope the Gov and teachers take all that into consideration and you will all be marked fairly
Last edited by domesticengineer; 1 month ago
tahrimah55
Rep:
?
(Original post by ..M..)
Wow that’s a lot of tests!! It’s sounds like it must have been hard work but I wish my school had done it like this so we had more opportunities to show off our skills rather than simply these two mocks and two we did in October 😞 Are all of them contributing towards your grade or are the small ones just practice for the full papers? Good luck by the way x
it has been really hard, the mini tests are being graded together and the full paper is being graded separately, then the results are being compared. good luck to you too! Are you planning on going to university?
tahrimah55
Rep:
?
I think my daughter will be doing in total about 5 maths exams - this week is two pure maths exams. Hers have all gone pretty badly too! They're the papers from last years A level. So much for no exams! She's basically doing full A levels from last year with no study time, massive gaps in her education (her school didn't do any online learning for first 4 month lock down, no catch up despite asking for it, and then it was hit and miss in the second lockdown). So basically doing A levels after only doing half of sixth form. It would normally be 6 terms for 6th form - she has only done two full terms and bits of other ones. She was an A student before the pandemic and now I worry she might fail the lot. It's been an inconsistant educational experience all over the UK, and the assessments are inconsistant too. I hope the Gov and teachers take all that into consideration and you will all be marked fairly
I've had to do a lot of catching up and self teaching but luckily my teachers have included topics that we have been taught properly in the exams. I wish your daughter all the best!
..M..
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tahrimah55)
it has been really hard, the mini tests are being graded together and the full paper is being graded separately, then the results are being compared. good luck to you too! Are you planning on going to university?
Yes I am... and I’m so nervous about missing my offer! My other subjects have all gone really well so there’s so much riding on my maths grade, which I’m pretty sure won’t be enough ☹️ I was hoping unis would be more lenient with missed offers this year but apparently there’s set to be a lot more people getting high grades, have you found this to be the case? And have you applied for uni? 😋
..M..
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck to your daughter, it’s been so hard for us this year 😌 I wish the government had set stricter guidelines on how we should be assessed so there was less inconsistency between schools and more fairness on students having missed so much school. What are her plans for if she doesn’t achieve the A’s she was expecting pre pandemic? I’m considering retaking exams next year but then it also seems a shame to postpone uni and everything for a year!
domesticengineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ..M..)
Good luck to your daughter, it’s been so hard for us this year 😌 I wish the government had set stricter guidelines on how we should be assessed so there was less inconsistency between schools and more fairness on students having missed so much school. What are her plans for if she doesn’t achieve the A’s she was expecting pre pandemic? I’m considering retaking exams next year but then it also seems a shame to postpone uni and everything for a year!
Hi there, I don't think she'll get the grades for her firm and insurance uni choices - it was for computer science and cyber security, needing AAB. She's also been offered a technology degree apprenticeship where she needs BBC but not sure if she'll get that at the moment tbh. If she has to retake it will be a huge disapointment for her but at the end of the day - there's no race in life and sometimes when one door closes another opens. It's been incredibly tough for your year - wishing you all the best with your studies. Be proud you got this far in such difficult circumstances and all the uncertainty.
Last edited by domesticengineer; 1 month ago
tahrimah55
Rep:
?
(Original post by ..M..)
Yes I am... and I’m so nervous about missing my offer! My other subjects have all gone really well so there’s so much riding on my maths grade, which I’m pretty sure won’t be enough ☹️ I was hoping unis would be more lenient with missed offers this year but apparently there’s set to be a lot more people getting high grades, have you found this to be the case? And have you applied for uni? 😋
Yess, i have applied for chemistry so I need atleast B to get into my firm choice and maths is my worst subject. I am not sure about universities expecting high grades but I’m hoping they’ll be lenient this year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed