Help - i dont know how to reply to my supervisor

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was not able to complete and submit my dissertation, but i couldn't get EC for this, because i don't have anything material to evidence my circumstances. My supervisor emailed me, (he was very nice about it) asking how i'm doing because i didn't submit it. And said if i have EC i should submit it, or i can resit it over the summer with an uncapped mark. This would mean a delay in my degree result but he said that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I don't know how to reply to him though? Shall i tell him my circumstances?. I want to apologise for not informing him beforehand that i couldn't submit it, but how should i word this? And obviously since i cant get EC, I want to say i will have to re-submit in the summer but, again, im not sure how to word this?

Sorry for this irrational rant, my head is all over the place and i probably will figure out how to word it in the end but i need to know if im doing the right thing?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was not able to complete and submit my dissertation, but i couldn't get EC for this, because i don't have anything material to evidence my circumstances. My supervisor emailed me, (he was very nice about it) asking how i'm doing because i didn't submit it. And said if i have EC i should submit it, or i can resit it over the summer with an uncapped mark. This would mean a delay in my degree result but he said that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I don't know how to reply to him though? Shall i tell him my circumstances?. I want to apologise for not informing him beforehand that i couldn't submit it, but how should i word this? And obviously since i cant get EC, I want to say i will have to re-submit in the summer but, again, im not sure how to word this?

Sorry for this irrational rant, my head is all over the place and i probably will figure out how to word it in the end but i need to know if im doing the right thing?
Your supervisor sounds pretty reasonable.

Id probably just tell them what happened and make it clear how you want to proceed, i.e. complete over this summer.

Just be polite & concise.
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi there!

Your supervisor does sound really reasonable about it, which is good news! I understand how hard it is to word things and then worry if you're saying it the right way etc, however if you explain your circumstances, thank him for being understanding etc then it should be fine! I would first start by thanking him for his email, and go on to explain your circumstances and then again say thank you, or if there is any questions that you may want to ask, I would also ask him

I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on! Best wishes

Becca
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Your supervisor sounds pretty reasonable.

Id probably just tell them what happened and make it clear how you want to proceed, i.e. complete over this summer.

Just be polite & concise.
thank you for your advice!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi there!

Your supervisor does sound really reasonable about it, which is good news! I understand how hard it is to word things and then worry if you're saying it the right way etc, however if you explain your circumstances, thank him for being understanding etc then it should be fine! I would first start by thanking him for his email, and go on to explain your circumstances and then again say thank you, or if there is any questions that you may want to ask, I would also ask him

I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on! Best wishes

Becca
Hi! Thank you for your advice and reassurance

How much do i have to say about my circumstances - i feel too nervous to talk about it?

Sounds silly, but do you think he would want to be my reference for my masters (planning to do in 2022) if he has to mark it in the summer?

Im also worried my parents won't understand why my degree is getting delayed, even if it does not affect my grade. (they don't really understand how it works anyway but will be expecting my grade on results day so they can go on to tell family and friends)

sorry for the endless questions. Ive just been overthinking again - no need to reply it just feels better to get my thoughts out.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! Thank you for your advice and reassurance

How much do i have to say about my circumstances - i feel too nervous to talk about it?

Sounds silly, but do you think he would want to be my reference for my masters (planning to do in 2022) if he has to mark it in the summer?

Im also worried my parents won't understand why my degree is getting delayed, even if it does not affect my grade. (they don't really understand how it works anyway but will be expecting my grade on results day so they can go on to tell family and friends)

sorry for the endless questions. Ive just been overthinking again - no need to reply it just feels better to get my thoughts out.
Hi there

That's ok! I am glad I can provide you with advice and reassurance. No need to apologise for the questions, I am here to help

I wouldn't say you have to go into loads of detail, I would just try to explain it in a sentence or two, and if he needs more information about the circumstances then you can provide that for him later Hopefully this makes you feel more easy to talk about it, allowing you to not feel so nervous. However it's okay to be nervous about it and once you've sent it, you'll feel so much better! I would say there's no reason for him not to want to be your reference, he seems really reasonable and therefore to me seems like he would give you a reference! You can always ask this in your email to him? As for your family, it may be best to sit them down and explain it to them carefully and slowly and hopefully they're able to understand especially when it doesn't even affect your grade that your degree mark will be delayed a little.

I hope this helps!

Becca
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi there

That's ok! I am glad I can provide you with advice and reassurance. No need to apologise for the questions, I am here to help

I wouldn't say you have to go into loads of detail, I would just try to explain it in a sentence or two, and if he needs more information about the circumstances then you can provide that for him later Hopefully this makes you feel more easy to talk about it, allowing you to not feel so nervous. However it's okay to be nervous about it and once you've sent it, you'll feel so much better! I would say there's no reason for him not to want to be your reference, he seems really reasonable and therefore to me seems like he would give you a reference! You can always ask this in your email to him? As for your family, it may be best to sit them down and explain it to them carefully and slowly and hopefully they're able to understand especially when it doesn't even affect your grade that your degree mark will be delayed a little.

I hope this helps!

Becca
Hi again! Thank you so much for your kind response and definitely helpful advice

I did email him and apologised and he told me not to worry about it and that it just means hell have one less to mark now! He even said hed be happy to discuss it anything with me

I feel less nervous about asking him to be my reference now and will definitely take what you said on board about talking to my family

Thank you so much!!
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi again! Thank you so much for your kind response and definitely helpful advice

I did email him and apologised and he told me not to worry about it and that it just means hell have one less to mark now! He even said hed be happy to discuss it anything with me

I feel less nervous about asking him to be my reference now and will definitely take what you said on board about talking to my family

Thank you so much!!
Hey!

That's okay I am glad I could help and I'm also really glad to hear that his response was lovely as expected and that you feel so much better!!

Becca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (104)
27.51%
England (127)
33.6%
Belgium (30)
7.94%
Germany (40)
10.58%
Spain (8)
2.12%