Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I just had some doubts about this topic and was wondering if anyone could clarify for me?
1. In my notes it says that if E of e-< Ionisation energy, excitation will happen. If E> IE, ionisation happens.
So what would happen if E = IE?

I thought I had more but I can't remember my other questions lol.- If I remember ill add them on.
Thanks
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 3 weeks ago
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
2. ' An electron can absorb a photon and move to a higher energy level where a vacancy exists', but what if there is no vacancy and the atom has a full outer shell or something?
lordaxil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If E = IE, then ionisation would still occur provided there were no other losses in system. In practice, they are very unlikely to be exactly equal.

If there are no vacant states with higher energy for the electron to move to, then the transition is forbidden.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by lordaxil)
If E = IE, then ionisation would still occur provided there were no other losses in system. In practice, they are very unlikely to be exactly equal.

If there are no vacant states with higher energy for the electron to move to, then the transition is forbidden.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%