How to tell a guy you just want to be friends?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I met this guy online he’s sweet but not my type and idk i just want to be friends but he keeps mentioning like going places together and at the time i agreed because i thought he knew we was JUST friends but now he’s like i want to book somewhere nice for us to stay and I’m getting vibes he thinks it’s something more..... i really don’t wanna hurt his feelings but i feel awkward talking to him now... especially as we’ve planned to go to this event later in the year.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I guess you have to tell him clearly where he stands
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Zarek)
I guess you have to tell him clearly where he stands
Easier said than done
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Easier said than done
I've had to do this before too, it is quite painful. Just tell them as nicely as possible ig.
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Easier said than done
You are doing it online? That should be pretty easy just be prepared for him to walk away though. Just be straight up with him but gentle - something along the lines of - "You know we are just friends, right ?"
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
I've had to do this before too, it is quite painful. Just tell them as nicely as possible ig.
it’s not even i don’t ever wanna talk again i just wanna be friends ! But i know what guys are like when they get “rejected”
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I met this guy online he’s sweet but not my type and idk i just want to be friends but he keeps mentioning like going places together and at the time i agreed because i thought he knew we was JUST friends but now he’s like i want to book somewhere nice for us to stay and I’m getting vibes he thinks it’s something more..... i really don’t wanna hurt his feelings but i feel awkward talking to him now... especially as we’ve planned to go to this event later in the year.
Just be honest with him and say you want to be friends. No other option really lol.
Katya_93
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been in this situation quite a bit, that because you're nice to a guy, he thinks there's more involved when there just isn't.
You don't want to hurt their feelings, but you don't want to lead them on either.
Recently I had a situation where someone in a delicate state wanted to be more than friends and every time I tried to stress a friendship, things got deeper until I had to snap.

I would suggest having the 'I'm not looking for a relationship at all, with anyone, I'm glad you're a good friend and I enjoy talking to you' chat. Stress the first 2. Because if you let it continue it'll just end up more stressful. If he doesn't understand from there, you just have to be blunt. There's really nothing else you can do.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Katya_93)
I would suggest having the 'I'm not looking for a relationship at all, with anyone, I'm glad you're a good friend and I enjoy talking to you' chat. Stress the first 2. Because if you let it continue it'll just end up more stressful. If he doesn't understand from there, you just have to be blunt. There's really nothing else you can do.

What if OP is looking for a relationship though, just not with him..

I don't think it would go down too well if she said that to him then shortly after started dating someone else. If OP and the guy were still friends at that point then the friendship would soon fall apart with that...........
Last edited by ANM775; 4 weeks ago
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)

I don't think it would go down too well if she said that to him then shortly after started dating someone else. If OP and the guy were still friends at that point then the friendship would soon fall apart with that...........
Agree. Better not to lie in that way. You can be honest and tell the guy you just want to be friends without trying to pretend that you have zero interest in being in a relationship with anyone at all.
Katya_93
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Then OP needs to cater it to her situation. Mine would be 'not interested in anyone'.
Tbh, I'm a bit of an emotional wuss anyway and will try to do anything to get out of those situations.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Katya_93)
I've been in this situation quite a bit, that because you're nice to a guy, he thinks there's more involved when there just isn't.
You don't want to hurt their feelings, but you don't want to lead them on either.
Recently I had a situation where someone in a delicate state wanted to be more than friends and every time I tried to stress a friendship, things got deeper until I had to snap.

100%! We have mutual interests that’s what started the convo and then he randomly started asking to go to stuff and i was like we get on (friend wise) so why not? Like i genuinely seen him as a good friend. Then he started asking about where we could stay and in my head i was like on my own in my hotel room! I’ve literally just messaged him now saying i don’t want to give the wrong intentions to him

About being in a relationship well yeah i do but with the right person and i thought i made it clear i didn’t want anything more to begin with. I am speaking to another guy it’s early stages but i don’t see why that matters? It’s not like i was playing him because for all i knew we was just friends!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t long it out or lead him on. I’m sure he would much rather prefer if you just told him.
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Poor dude doesn’t know he’s about to be brotherzoned : ((
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Celtic Conjurer)
Poor dude doesn’t know he’s about to be brotherzoned : ((
don’t make me feel bad 🥺
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
don’t make me feel bad 🥺
lmao you shouldn't feel bad. You have done the right thing by being honest with him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (27)
36.99%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (7)
9.59%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
5.48%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (22)
30.14%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (8)
10.96%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
6.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed