Why is my Dad so mean when he’s drunk?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay, so. My Dad is generally a nice person. He can be annoying or frustrating to talk to every now and then or to even be around but I’m sure everyone can be like that at times, so that doesn’t really bother me as much as this does.

When my dad has a drink and is either tipsy/drunk he just becomes so horrible. He starts to take his anger/frustrations out on me. It’s really hurtful, so much to point where I go to my bedroom and just cry. I also started a part-time job recently within a fast food industry and have been finding it quite stressful.

I tell my parents about it, and my Dad just brushes it off and just tells me that I should try and “work his hours” or to just quit if I hate it that much. Just because I’ve had a bad day doesn’t mean I want to quit? I just wanted to vent and he always comes back with the extreme answer instead of comforting me. This is when he’s sober by the way.

Another example of him being horrible when he’s drunk is when he’s gaming. Usually, he games and drinks on the weekends which is when I have work in the mornings and he’s so loud downstairs, and when I politely ask him to be quiet he just ignores me or starts being rude about it.

I would talk to him about it but I know he’d somehow find a way to make it seem like it’s my fault or just moan at me even more.

Another thing that annoys me is that he will act like nothing has happened between us the next day; and won’t even bother to apologise or even address the situation. It really pisses me off that he gets away with behaving like that towards me.

I don’t know, I just thought I’d ask for advice. Any replies are much appreciated this is more of a vent to be honest so I don’t expect many replies
Evelyn34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When people are drunk they are unaware of their actions and can do what your dad do and take their anger out on others etc, so if I were you I'd take it with a pinch of salt. If he is drunk and starts physically hurting you ...... then it is a different story
the_pharaoh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay, so. My Dad is generally a nice person. He can be annoying or frustrating to talk to every now and then or to even be around but I’m sure everyone can be like that at times, so that doesn’t really bother me as much as this does.

When my dad has a drink and is either tipsy/drunk he just becomes so horrible. He starts to take his anger/frustrations out on me. It’s really hurtful, so much to point where I go to my bedroom and just cry. I also started a part-time job recently within a fast food industry and have been finding it quite stressful.

I tell my parents about it, and my Dad just brushes it off and just tells me that I should try and “work his hours” or to just quit if I hate it that much. Just because I’ve had a bad day doesn’t mean I want to quit? I just wanted to vent and he always comes back with the extreme answer instead of comforting me. This is when he’s sober by the way.

Another example of him being horrible when he’s drunk is when he’s gaming. Usually, he games and drinks on the weekends which is when I have work in the mornings and he’s so loud downstairs, and when I politely ask him to be quiet he just ignores me or starts being rude about it.

I would talk to him about it but I know he’d somehow find a way to make it seem like it’s my fault or just moan at me even more.

Another thing that annoys me is that he will act like nothing has happened between us the next day; and won’t even bother to apologise or even address the situation. It really pisses me off that he gets away with behaving like that towards me.

I don’t know, I just thought I’d ask for advice. Any replies are much appreciated this is more of a vent to be honest so I don’t expect many replies
Because under the influence of alcohol he's unaware of what's happening and has no control over he does
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
Because under the influence of alcohol he's unaware of what's happening and has no control over he does
Eh. Not exactly but alright.
theslimeguy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
dont worry, when people were drunk, they didnt aware what they were doing...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads