Can I get into a Russell Group uni with bad grades?

Watch
ana9373
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically, what the title says, will I be able to get into a Russell Group uni with crappy grades for law. Do they lower their grade expectations a lot through clearing?
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hard to tell with the info you've posted.
To some, low grades are AAB, to other low grades are DDE. Without knowing more, it's hard to say anything.

That being said, I have heard that regardless of where you do get into, lots of law firms do take A levels into account to filter out the applicants..
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ana9373)
Basically, what the title says, will I be able to get into a Russell Group uni with crappy grades for law. Do they lower their grade expectations a lot through clearing?
It will all depend on your individual circumstances and things like the uni's intake at the time, which you can't really predict. e.g. a uni thinks it will have a lot more applicants than it actually did so has a lot more spaces available and because of that can be more flexible. likewise it might also be that unis this year are more oversubscribed so they're less flexible. also depends on what you define as "crappy" as poster above said!
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by chalbliagtelle)
It will all depend on your individual circumstances and things like the uni's intake at the time, which you can't really predict. e.g. a uni thinks it will have a lot more applicants than it actually did so has a lot more spaces available and because of that can be more flexible. likewise it might also be that unis this year are more oversubscribed so they're less flexible. also depends on what you define as "crappy" as poster above said!
probably anything below a b ahaha
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bluntly speaking, I doubt they'd take you in with grades lower than a B through a normal october/january application as those grades wouldn't meet the entry requirements and there'll be plenty of other applicants with A*s and As. Through clearing it might be different depending on your circumstances, grades and the number of spaces they have available to fill. It doesn't hurt to try though, just remember that if you get into your firm on results day and decide to go through clearing to find a Russell group/other uni to go to then you reject and no longer hold the offer to your firm so think about whether it's worth it for you to risk that.
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
Bluntly speaking, I doubt they'd take you in with grades lower than a B through a normal october/january application as those grades wouldn't meet the entry requirements and there'll be plenty of other applicants with A*s and As. Through clearing it might be different depending on your circumstances, grades and the number of spaces they have available to fill. It doesn't hurt to try though, just remember that if you get into your firm on results day and decide to go through clearing to find a Russell group/other uni to go to then you reject and no longer hold the offer to your firm so think about whether it's worth it for you to risk that.
thanks, mate.
ana9373
Rep:
?
thanks, mate.
kinda worried i wont get into my firm
kaorimiyazono
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks, mate.
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not but I'm sorry if I came across as mean. I really hope everything goes ok with your application and that you end up at a uni that you're happy at. Good luck!!
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaorimiyazono)
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not but I'm sorry if I came across as mean. I really hope everything goes ok with your application and that you end up at a uni that you're happy at. Good luck!!
No, no, sorry if it came across that way ahaha. You're the first person who's actually helped me with my question so I'm genuinely grateful. God, looking at it from your perspective it does sound sarcastic, think I'm going to just stick with thanks from now on.
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
theres a list on here that shows which unis are in clearing. tbh it might be worth emailing. only a uni can know whether it's gonna be in clearing and what the offers are gonna be. but dont assume that the grades will be that much lower. maybe AAB instead of AAA or something like that.
Johnny ~
Report 4 weeks ago
The simple answer is no. RG universities may drop their standard offer by one grade. Also, even if they do drop their offer, they will be the first to fill up, and won't have many places available. I don't know how many FOI requests have been done on this but, anecdotally, you'd be lucky to find any RG uni in Clearing on Results Day, especially after noon.
kaorimiyazono
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, no, sorry if it came across that way ahaha. You're the first person who's actually helped me with my question so I'm genuinely grateful. God, looking at it from your perspective it does sound sarcastic, think I'm going to just stick with thanks from now on.
Oh ok lol that's good I'm just not very good at picking up sarcasm sometimes so I wanted to make sure. I'm glad I could help. Good luck with everything!
ana9373
Rep:
?
(Original post by EU Yakov)
theres a list on here that shows which unis are in clearing. tbh it might be worth emailing. only a uni can know whether it's gonna be in clearing and what the offers are gonna be. but dont assume that the grades will be that much lower. maybe AAB instead of AAA or something like that.
thanks luv
Tinders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
harrysbar may be able to give more detail than me on this, but most RG unis do not lower their entry grades for law on results day and some like Nottingham are international only by midday on results day, and others like York are international only through clearing. With anything less than AAA you would face an uphill battle at most RGs. AAB is probably the lowest most RGs would take if you firmed them. Look further afield there are some excellent non RG law schools such as Lancaster, Kent and Sussex who have lower entry requirements may be more lenient on results day.
Last edited by Tinders; 4 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tinders)
harrysbar may be able to give more detail than me on this, but most RG unis do not lower their entry grades for law on results day and some like Nottingham are international only by midday on results day, and others like York are international only through clearing. With anything less than AAA you would face an uphill battle at most RGs. AAB is probably the lowest most RGs would take if you firmed them. Look further afield there are some excellent non RG law schools such as Lancaster, Kent and Sussex who have lower entry requirements may be more lenient on results day.
Thanks Tinders, this is the list from Clearing 2020

Aberdeen ABB not accepting applications from Scottish or EU students
Aston BCC
Birmingham has vacancies for international students only at around AAA.
Bristol has vacancies for international students only at A*AA or A*A*B &LNAT
Buckingham BBB-BBC
Cardiff AAB-ABB
City ABB-BBB
Dundee currently has vacancies for English/NI/Welsh students only AAB
Durham - not in Clearing & Adjustment
East Anglia AAB/ABB
Essex BBB
Exeter had vacancies in early Clearing for international students only at their main campus at BBC or equivalent. They also had Law with Business vacancies at their smaller campus in Cornwall (Penryn) at BBB for UK/EU students but these were filled before A level results day.
Goldsmiths ABB
Huddersfield BBB (or equivalent UCAS points)
Hull around BBB but call the Clearing Hotline to discuss
Keele BBB/ABC
Kent ABB
Kings A*A*A call admissions on +44 (0)20 3858 1050 for possible Adjustment otherwise consider an alternative course
Lancaster AAB for LLB Law or BBB for BA Criminology with Law
ULaw BBB
Leicester BCC
Manchester AAA/AAB contextual
Newcastle ABB on results day
Nottingham AAB plus LNAT
Nottingham Trent BBB
Oxford Brookes BCC-CDD contextual
QMUL around AAA but places filled by mid morning
Queens Belfast BBB/ABC
Reading offer given at ACD
Royal Holloway CCC
Sheffield had vacancies at ABB (now filled)
Southampton ABB
Surrey ABB-BBB
Sussex BCC
Swansea - around BBB but phone the Clearing hotline to discuss
Warwick do not have vacancies for Law but they do have alternative vacancies such as History or English at BBB
York - LLB vacancies for international students only at AAB.

The list for 2019:

Warwick and Durham not in Clearing
Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (88)
28.66%
No (219)
71.34%

Watched Threads