MTJS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Good evening,

I was so glad to receive an offer from Kent in March as they were my first choice for my course. I need some help understanding how the offer works, mainly regarding Fee Status.

I have Indefinite Leave to Remain, with Settled status since 2015, having lived in England since 2004. On my offer letter, I was assessed as an Overseas student, but this may change as they were waiting for guidance from UKCISA before making any adjustments or sending Fee Status Questionnaires.

1. If I accept my offer now, does it mean that I will HAVE to pay the overseas fee and not be eligible for a student loan?
2. They told me that they were waiting for UKCISA guidance. The latest update on their website was the 11th of May so is the university now able to update fee statuses?
3. Anybody else here in the same boat?

Many thanks!
MTJS
Rep:
?
Can anybody help?
MTJS
Rep:
?
All I need to know is this...

Is it safe to accept my offer before having been sent the Fee Status Questionaire?
Marcie May
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MTJS)
Can anybody help?
(Original post by MTJS)
Good evening,

I was so glad to receive an offer from Kent in March as they were my first choice for my course. I need some help understanding how the offer works, mainly regarding Fee Status.

I have Indefinite Leave to Remain, with Settled status since 2015, having lived in England since 2004. On my offer letter, I was assessed as an Overseas student, but this may change as they were waiting for guidance from UKCISA before making any adjustments or sending Fee Status Questionnaires.

1. If I accept my offer now, does it mean that I will HAVE to pay the overseas fee and not be eligible for a student loan?
2. They told me that they were waiting for UKCISA guidance. The latest update on their website was the 11th of May so is the university now able to update fee statuses?
3. Anybody else here in the same boat?

Many thanks!
umm.... settled status students should be considered as home student. I applied at kent with pre-settled status and i got kept as home/uk student. Try contact the student finance team at kent :confused:
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To answer your other question, you are not bound to any fee status until you formal enrol.

You can accept now, (and I agree that IDLR would usually make you eligible for Home fees), conceding that you are dependent on the the Uni reviewing and amending your fees.

Have you sent in evidence of your IDLR?
MTJS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Marcie May)
umm.... settled status students should be considered as home student. I applied at kent with pre-settled status and i got kept as home/uk student. Try contact the student finance team at kent :confused:
That is what I thought and is my source of confusion. Every other university has classed me as a Home student so I am not sure why Kent in particular has to wait for the UKCISA guidance. I only want to go to Kent and with the UCAS deadline to accept my offer approaching, the stress I feel is high lol.

(Original post by Admit-One)
To answer your other question, you are not bound to any fee status until you formal enrol.

You can accept now, (and I agree that IDLR would usually make you eligible for Home fees), conceding that you are dependent on the the Uni reviewing and amending your fees.

Have you sent in evidence of your IDLR?
That is reassuring, thank you!

I haven't been asked to, no. They sent me a separate form called CAS, which I filled but which also basically shows I am a Home Student. I called them last week and they said they know that people's UCAS deadlines are approaching and will get in touch but there's barely two weeks left.

If I don't hear anything by the 5th then I guess it's safe to accept my offer regardless and hope they send me a Fee Status Questionaire
Marcie May
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MTJS)
That is what I thought and is my source of confusion. Every other university has classed me as a Home student so I am not sure why Kent in particular has to wait for the UKCISA guidance. I only want to go to Kent and with the UCAS deadline to accept my offer approaching, the stress I feel is high lol.

That is reassuring, thank you!

I haven't been asked to, no. They sent me a separate form called CAS, which I filled but which also basically shows I am a Home Student. I called them last week and they said they know that people's UCAS deadlines are approaching and will get in touch but there's barely two weeks left.

If I don't hear anything by the 5th then I guess it's safe to accept my offer regardless and hope they send me a Fee Status Questionaire
By the way, what are did you applied to study at university of kent?
MTJS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marcie May)
By the way, what are did you applied to study at university of kent?
Hey Marcie May,

I originally applied to study Actuarial Science with a Foundation year but instead got an offer for Data Science with a Foundation Year
Marcie May
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MTJS)
Hey Marcie May,

I originally applied to study Actuarial Science with a Foundation year but instead got an offer for Data Science with a Foundation Year
Data science is a pretty good subject, good luck with your studies!!
Jenpossible
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey MTJS
I'm in the same boat as you. I have IRL and been a resident in this country for around 6 years now and they classified me as an overseas student. I've been asking the admissions team for their updated questionnaire but they have been telling me that they are waiting on guidance from UKCISA. I've applied to other universities and well and they all classified me as a home student with their questionnaire immediately. I think it is just University of Kent. I'm still waiting on them and probably annoyed the admissions teams by now because I've kept asking monthly. I've already accepted their unconditional offer, so worst come to worst, I will have to do a fee appeal.

Also, data science is really cool. I've accept their offer of actuarial science so I might see you around!

UPDATE: I've called them today to inquire and they just sent out the questionnaire to me. If you give then a ring, you might send it to you immediately if you have not received it in the last week.
Last edited by Jenpossible; 1 month ago
MTJS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jenpossible)
Hey MTJS
I'm in the same boat as you. I have IRL and been a resident in this country for around 6 years now and they classified me as an overseas student. I've been asking the admissions team for their updated questionnaire but they have been telling me that they are waiting on guidance from UKCISA. I've applied to other universities and well and they all classified me as a home student with their questionnaire immediately. I think it is just University of Kent. I'm still waiting on them and probably annoyed the admissions teams by now because I've kept asking monthly. I've already accepted their unconditional offer, so worst come to worst, I will have to do a fee appeal.

Also, data science is really cool. I've accept their offer of actuarial science so I might see you around!

UPDATE: I've called them today to inquire and they just sent out the questionnaire to me. If you give then a ring, you might send it to you immediately if you have not received it in the last week.
Hey Jen!

Thank you so much for your post. I did end up contacting them like you said and managed to get the form completed. I now qualify for Home Fees and should be okay to start on the 18th of September!

Did you read the email saying that most of our course, especially examinations will be online? There will be some physical classes but not much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads