Computer Systems Engineering

Watch this thread
SFerns09
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
University of Bath

Hi, I am not sure whether to choose Computer Systems Engineering for undergraduate study at Bath. I am not sure if it is a good carrier prospect. How does it compare with Computer Science?

Could you please comment on this? Thanks
Last edited by SFerns09; 1 year ago
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SFerns09)
University of Bath

Hi, I am not sure whether to choose Computer Systems Engineering for undergraduate study at Bath. I am not sure if it is a good carrier prospect. How does it compare with Computer Science?

Could you please comment on this? Thanks
Hi there!

Unfortunately we do not have anyone from a computer science or computer systems engineering background as a Student Room ambassador. I would recommend taking a look here and speaking to one of our ambassadors from Electrical Engineering or Robotics Engineering as there may be some course overlap with the department / course.

Having a look through the course pages for both Computer Systems Engineering and Computer Science, the major thing that stands out is that they are taught by different faculties: one is an engineering degree, where the focus is on both hardware and software including electrical enigneering and you will graduate with a BEng / MEng which will allow you to become chartered. Computer science is a science degree where the focus is on maths and programming rather than hands on engineering.

Bath has an excellent reputation for both science and engineering and the graduate prospects should be excellent for both. Both courses also give you an opportunity to go on a placement year. Bath has dedicated support staff to help you secure a placement and having industrial experience really helps with graduate prospects. However, the type of jobs you can go into with each will be quite different so it's important to think about what you are most interested. I would highly recommend looking through the modules and descriptions in each degree (if you click on each module in the course pages above, it will take you to the Bath catalogues where you can access a detailed description of each module).

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
SFerns09
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thank you so much for the information, Leah.

I couldn't find anyone from those subject areas to chat with on Unibuddy. It makes me feel like Computer systems engineering is not a popular course and it's not a good career option.

Anyways thank you for the help
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SFerns09)
Thank you so much for the information, Leah.

I couldn't find anyone from those subject areas to chat with on Unibuddy. It makes me feel like Computer systems engineering is not a popular course and it's not a good career option.

Anyways thank you for the help
Hi there,

Having another look at the course page, the reason is that you would not have found anyone on Unibuddy is because it is a brand new course starting in September 2021. Therefore, I would not use the lack of people studying it to judge on career prospects - it's just a new course so there is no data on where graduates go. However, it is taught by the Electronic and Electrical Engineering departments, who's graduates are very highly regarded in industry. The department have created this new course to fill a gap in the graduate market where there is a demand for people with an electronic engineering degree with advanced knowledge of computer hardware and software skills - rather than just electrical engineers and computer scientists separately.

I think it's important to focus on what exactly your interests are and what you want to be studying day-to-day for 3/4 years as the graduate market is quite changeable anyway. As I said, the degrees are quite different with a quite different emphasis (engineering with some hands on hardware aspects plus software / computer science (computer systems engineering) vs. pure science(computer science)), so think carefully about what your interests and what you want to be studying and doing for a career day-to-day.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have anymore questions.

Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
SFerns09
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Thank you so much for the information. This should help me take a correct decision.

But on the course info page there is a course study of someone who studied the course in 2016

Name:  Screenshot_20210601_200059-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  123.6 KB.
Last edited by SFerns09; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (15)
17.44%
The paper was reasonable (30)
34.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
36.05%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
11.63%

Watched Threads