Considering dropping out of university

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
So I started my primary education degree in September 2019, I was only in university for a matter of months before the pandemic hit and everything was home learning. My degree was only 2 years so here I am over a year on and I know I’m failing my degree. Nearly all of my modules have been capped. I have assignments due that I just cannot hand in as I have nothing to produce, although I’m only 2 months away from finishing I know I won’t be capable of writing a dissertation and the thought of it is making me depressed I know for a fact I’m failing this degree so is it worth still even being enrolled into the university if I don’t plan on handing anything in
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
What are your plans if you do drop out?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't give up without exploring every option. At least make your decision from an informed position.

I would get in touch with the University's counselling service tomorrow and also with your personal tutor. It might be that extensions are possible and you might feel differently once that is confirmed.
Last edited by Kerzen; 3 weeks ago
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,
So I started my primary education degree in September 2019, I was only in university for a matter of months before the pandemic hit and everything was home learning. My degree was only 2 years so here I am over a year on and I know I’m failing my degree. Nearly all of my modules have been capped. I have assignments due that I just cannot hand in as I have nothing to produce, although I’m only 2 months away from finishing I know I won’t be capable of writing a dissertation and the thought of it is making me depressed I know for a fact I’m failing this degree so is it worth still even being enrolled into the university if I don’t plan on handing anything in
Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Have you weighed up the pros and cons of dropping out university and the pros and cons of staying? This may be a good way to weigh up your options and help you to decide what to do as it is a big decision, especially if you only have 2 months left from finishing! You have done so well, to get to where you are, so well done! Like the comment above I would suggest speaking to your university or personal tutor as they may be able to talk you through any other options, help you out a bit and support you through this time. Do you have any plans if you did drop out?

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
Anonymous
Hello! I did my teacher training course about eight years ago, and I can honestly say that pretty much everyone on that course considered dropping out at some point. It is a difficult course but it is so rewarding on completion. I think you are best a) talking to student support services to see if the H.E registrar can do some clever things with your final deadline because of Covid etc b) talk to your lecturer about your dissertation for advice.

It could be worth completing your course because primary teachers are in enormous demand, and institutions have never once paid any attention to my grade for my PGCE. As long as you get registered with the Department for Education you will likely get a job at the end of it.

The main thing is to think of your health and make an informed choice based on your options, Best of luck!!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
There are some great comments here and some really positive bits of advice. It's definitely worth you reaching out to your tutor and explaining the situation. They are there to support you and ensure that you are on the right path. Also, look into whether your library offers any kind of study skills sessions, these may be helpful when it comes to essay writing and getting back on track with your assignments. If you feel like you are suffering mentally it's also worth reaching out to your wellbeing team who will be able to offer support and advice. As mentioned above, don't give up until you've explored every option, and good luck!
Rosessta3rs7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi all,
Hi there, I wouldn't give up hope. I was getting a third after I felt depressed, didn't want to do anything and wanted to drop out after certain circumstances in my life. I am now on track for a 2.1. Talk to someone! I was in the same position as you, and it's better to try and fail than to fail it by not doing anything. Even if you get a 2.2 or just pass the degree, it's still an achievement!
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi There,

My best advice to you is to stick with it, I'll share my own personal story and you see if it sounds remotely similar, if it does then I hope you find some solace in the fact that it is actually never over until you yourself say so, until then, you have unlimited potential to succeed. So, it's early March and I am sitting in a mess of a Masters dissertation, no lit review, no introduction, no analysis or write up of results and no conclusion. I took two days off thinking that would be it, but then, I want you to ask yourself, 'if I drop out with 2 months, that's it, 60 days, then it's over, will I regret it?', I asked myself the same thing and began planning every day out carefully, I did rack in 12 hour days for 5 weeks but fast-forward today, I received a 90% for the thesis. Focus, focus, focus, put all your energy into the work and you will find that it will start to come together. But never give up, I think you will regret it and the alternative is another 3 years of writing hard essays for another degree, get it done and let me know how you get on, remember, be critical, careful and considerate in your writing. But please DO NOT GIVE UP! YOU HAVE GOT THIS!!
Royal Agricultural University
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Please get in touch with student support services! Universities have amazing support systems in place, and I am sure you will get help. Don't give up without a fight! I am so sorry you are having a hard time, but it will get better! Best, Ksenia (Widening Participation manager at RAU)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (89)
26.65%
England (110)
32.93%
Belgium (27)
8.08%
Germany (39)
11.68%
Spain (7)
2.1%