The Student Room Group

Faked the test to get extra time and feeling horribly guilty

deleted post
(edited 2 years ago)
honestly we all do dumb things sometimes. you're what 17-18? you're allowed to mess up and do stupid stuff- its basically the whole teenage experience. it wasn't a good thing to do, but you understand that and you regret it, which is the most important thing :] i guarantee you they don't hate you; you didn't actually hurt anyone.
just get through it, if you're a year 13 you have barely weeks left, and if youre year 12 it'll go faster than you know it- and honestly everyone will probably forget about it, especially over summer. you're gonna be okay, forgive yourself. :]
Original post by ophelia786
honestly we all do dumb things sometimes. you're what 17-18? you're allowed to mess up and do stupid stuff- its basically the whole teenage experience. it wasn't a good thing to do, but you understand that and you regret it, which is the most important thing :] i guarantee you they don't hate you; you didn't actually hurt anyone.
just get through it, if you're a year 13 you have barely weeks left, and if youre year 12 it'll go faster than you know it- and honestly everyone will probably forget about it, especially over summer. you're gonna be okay, forgive yourself. :]

this is good advice^ i think i did many dumb things during school.
Original post by ophelia786

This message acc helped me cos I'm really beating myself over about it. I wish I could go back in time fr :frown:
Thanks for your message fr its made me feel like less of a bad person
I'm just trying to accept the fact that I made a mistake, I think I'll get over it with time.
I am glad you recognised it was wrong and as someone has already stated you are allowed to make mistakes and learn from it. You certainly are not the only one to do this. I remember a girl from my school faked having dyslexia just to get extra time.

I would say that people will forget. You likely don't have much longer anyway so you can just move on and maybe laugh about it.

Are you getting any help currently with your mental health? It sounds as though you could really do with some support right now.
I don’t understand why extra time is even a thing. Why can’t everyone just have as much time as they need to complete an exam whether you’ve got a learning disability or not. Like if you can’t finish an exam within the time frame surely you need extra time.
Original post by whatusayingg
I faked the test to get extra time and I regret it so badly. The lady gave me a test to write as much as I could in 15 mins and I wrote super super slowly. She figured it out. then she told me to read out some stuff and I got a standardized score of 45.

I made it too obvious

I was struggling with A Levels and thought that even if extra time makes a difference between 1 or 2 marks it will help.
(For GCSE I was always 1 or 2 marks under the grade boundaries)
I now feel really guilty, my teachers and the SENDCO at my school told me off badly and now I feel as if I cant be trusted.
I was just so desperate and upset about how badly I'm failing everything, been getting Ds, crappy mental health and my subjects are so time pressured. Other people were playing the system at my school so that made me do it. But now I feel really bad.

By the way, I do understand what I did was wrong. I know I'm abusing the system/ making it unfair for people with learning difficulties who deserve it 100%. I just was so desperate to get extra time. Now all my teachers give me dirty looks and hate me

Dont know if im going to get hate. Probably going to end up deleting this

Well what’s done is done.

although generally if your running out of time too much id probably say this is because you need to do more revision. Your taking too long to grasp the questions and draw up answers. This comes with revision & practice.
Original post by cerichsen
I don’t understand why extra time is even a thing. Why can’t everyone just have as much time as they need to complete an exam whether you’ve got a learning disability or not. Like if you can’t finish an exam within the time frame surely you need extra time.

Nah I do understand why some people get it, some people can be extremely bright but just need more time because of their difficulties.
I agree they should make exams less time pressured though as it really affects the work on my exams. Ideally if they could just scrap exams that would be the best thing lol. Exams shouldnt predict my future because when am I going to need to use information about Mitochondria in Biology etc. or something like that
Original post by whatusayingg
Definitely realize it was wrong and I'm learning from my mistakes.

Thanks for your message. It feels good to know that not everyone right now is really against me. It feels like the end of the world right now but it should go with time

&& yep I've been on antidepressants for a while but my depression just gets triggered off by family issues, A Levels and its just such a stressful experience with UCAS etc and I always feel as if im not good enough because thats what society does in general theres just so much pressure with everything

It is certainly a very stressful time and I can definitely relate to what you are saying - you are not alone.

Have you thought about maybe seeking some therapy? It sounds like you could benefit from talking to someone about all of this.

There are a number of online services you could use anonymously as well such as kooth.

Quick Reply

Latest