pachee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Last edited by pachee; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically I'm halfway through F1 but have a potential offer to train in Canada starting in a month.
I'd very much like to keep the UK option open due to personal reasons but not sure what this would mean if I were to return as a Canadian trained gp but leaving F1 at provisional training?

Tried calling the GMC - wasn't very helpful :/
Lionheartat20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically I'm halfway through F1 but have a potential offer to train in Canada starting in a month.
I'd very much like to keep the UK option open due to personal reasons but not sure what this would mean if I were to return as a Canadian trained gp but leaving F1 at provisional training?

Is the Canadian Hospital aware that you are a provisional Doctor?

They are using provisional IMGs to fill less desirable areas (Or officiallly areas that they cannot fill with their own Doctors -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1283493/ from a whole 16 years ago) with high turnover of IMGs. I could imagine that the GP training in these extremely remote places is nothing like most UK hospitals. Just be aware that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.
Last edited by Lionheartat20; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Try and finish your FY1 year and get your Full Registration. As a UK doctor that has to be completed and they do not care if you have completed your training abroad, you have to finish your FY1 to get the Full Registration.
HHaricot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Your f1 is effectively still medical school. You need to finish it to be able to work as a registered doctor. This is really different to many other systems, so they arent always aware of your non licensed status. Obvs different countries can choose what they want to do with that!
But it is illegal for you to practice medicine in the uk outside of the foundation programme until you have completed F1 if your primary medical qualification is from the UK. It’s statutory law. No exceptions or exemptions. F1 needs to be a full 12 calendar month contract worked.
Last edited by HHaricot; 4 weeks ago
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Seems an odd time for you to leave. I'd have thought completing the Foundation Programme here first would be the sensible thing to do. But each to their own!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30.43%
No (48)
69.57%

Watched Threads