tropdebruit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, year 11 student currently looking for extracurriculars ideas.
I'm super passionate about anthropology (niche ik, i've accepted that i'll probably be jobless rip), humanities but am also taking sciences for a-levels.

If you could list any of yours that would be so motivational

StevenCheung
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not about what extra-curricular activities you do. It's about what you gain from it. Typically, universities look for what you have gained in experience and skill, not what activities you choose. But I played chess, joined a few maths tournament and made a couple of Machine Learning applications (by the way, I'm going to do a maths degree at Uni Of Leicester). I also mention that I took part in The Royal Institution's maths master classes.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For US colleges the main focus is on long term commitment, and that you've done more than just show up i.e. you've taken on leadership positions and then made material, long term changes and improvements in your leadership position. It doesn't really matter what it is in, and unlike in the UK, they don't care if it's really that relevant to what you plan to study. Remember in the US you do not normally apply to a specific subject to study for your entire degree programme; you just apply to the college "at large" and you will declare your major later (at the end of first or during second year) after taking some of your gen ed requirements, which necessarily require you to study in a range of different subjects and subject areas.

Note that for the "elite" colleges (which also includes all the need-blind colleges that commit to paying all your financial need for you) they usually expect very high level engagement in your chosen activities e.g. if you are playing a sport then you would probably expect you to captain or co-captain it if it's a team sport, and to compete on at least a county if not national level. For things like debate clubs, science fairs and so on they'd expect you to compete in regional or national competitions, etc. Otherwise they basically are looking for you to distinguish yourself; your extracurricular activities are quite likely to have had you featured in local news, if not regional or national coverage (even if small in the latter case) if they're non-academic/sporting for example.
kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In the US, there is no need to have your extracurriculars be related to your intended major, unlike with the UK where you tie it into your personal statement, so don't worry about finding ECs that relate to anthropology.

With regards to the US, you really want your ECs to show 3 things:
- Achievement
- Leadership + initiative
- Commitment

When it comes to inspiration for ECs, I highly recommend reading this article:
https://blog.prepscholar.com/how-to-...a-harvard-alum
It's about admission to US universities in general, but focuses on extracurriculars. Following this guy's advice won't give you a 90% chance of getting into Harvard as he claims, he definitely overestimates himself, but the advice is still great nonetheless.

If you want, I can DM you a list of the ECs I did, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

P.S. I'm also a humanities student so I understand the struggle of doing a "useless" major haha
Last edited by kamara41; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads