The Student Room Group

PCOS

People with PCOS - how do you lose weight and what do you eat? Do you take medication? What kind of lifestyle do you have? Also do you have excess hair?
I actually could use some more info on this as well, found out I had PCOS when I was 16, but I don't know much else. I don't think I have it quite bad, I don't get body hair, or weight gain, but just really abnormal periods.:redface:
Hope some others could share their experiences too.
I lose weight by eating less and exercising more, just like any other person. I eat a relatively healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg. I have the occasional week or two when I eat crap but on the whole, my diet is decent. I am not on any medication. My life-style is not super active but I do walk a lot (10-20,00 steps on most days). I don't have a huge amount of excess hair - some faint hair on my upper lip, some on my nipples and my pubic hair seems to extend quite far down my inner thighs (that might be normal though, Idk).
Original post by Anonymous
People with PCOS - how do you lose weight and what do you eat? Do you take medication? What kind of lifestyle do you have? Also do you have excess hair?

Hi! I was just diagnosed, I am 17, I am middle eastern so its difficult to say whether or not I have excess hair, I need help losing weight too, so my mum is taking me to a dietician, ive always been v active as a pro swimmer, and the doctors put me on this birth control called yasmin
what kind of symptoms did you guys have? and how did they diagnose? my periods are really irregular all of a sudden and doing research PCOS seems to appear a lot. I have a doctors call soon
what kind of symptoms did you guys have? and how did they diagnose? my periods are really irregular all of a sudden and doing research PCOS seems to appear a lot. I have a doctors call soon

ive just had highly irregular periods like very absent, and no other significant symptoms , my blood levels had some alleviations but not enough for PCOS but i had an ultrasound and had cysts on the ovaries, meaning I was diagnosed, but symptoms vary, some get really bad cramps and period pains but i just dont get it at all

i just clocked its been 20 days since i was diagnosed as i finish my pills for this month tomoz meaning i can finally get my period
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by amabanavardedil
ive just had highly irregular periods like very absent, and no other significant symptoms , my blood levels had some alleviations but not enough for PCOS but i had an ultrasound and had cysts on the ovaries, meaning I was diagnosed, but symptoms vary, some get really bad cramps and period pains but i just dont get it at all

i just clocked its been 20 days since i was diagnosed as i finish my pills for this month tomoz meaning i can finally get my period

I’ve been taking birth control for the last 2 years and it hasn’t helped me at all, maybe it’ll be different for you but looking at the research it seems as though birth control can be more harmful than beneficial. And usually it’s men that prescribe you it so obviously they don’t care
Reply 7

I gained weight very fast, I get hair under my chin and my periods are irregular but not painful. Also my ankles are always very swollen
Reply 8
Original post by amabanavardedil
Hi! I was just diagnosed, I am 17, I am middle eastern so its difficult to say whether or not I have excess hair, I need help losing weight too, so my mum is taking me to a dietician, ive always been v active as a pro swimmer, and the doctors put me on this birth control called yasmin

See im quite active too so for these guys to just be like lose weight through exercise is like... I’m already doing about 20k steps a day and I go running how much more can I do
Reply 9
I lose weight by eating less and exercising more, just like any other person. I eat a relatively healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg. I have the occasional week or two when I eat crap but on the whole, my diet is decent. I am not on any medication. My life-style is not super active but I do walk a lot (10-20,00 steps on most days). I don't have a huge amount of excess hair - some faint hair on my upper lip, some on my nipples and my pubic hair seems to extend quite far down my inner thighs (that might be normal though, Idk).

How much did you weigh? And how much do you weigh now? If you don’t mind me asking, also how long did it take you to lose the weight, also I have the pubic hair thing too
How much did you weigh? And how much do you weigh now? If you don’t mind me asking, also how long did it take you to lose the weight, also I have the pubic hair thing too

My highest weight was 62 kg. My lowest adult weight was 48kg. My current weight is about 54kg. It took me approximately 9-10 months to go from my highest weight to my lowest.
My highest weight was 62 kg. My lowest adult weight was 48kg. My current weight is about 54kg. It took me approximately 9-10 months to go from my highest weight to my lowest.

hi
I have PCOS and I've had a mild eating disorder since I've been about 15 cos of it.
I'm 31 now
Do you have tips on how to budge the weight?
now I'm 31 its much harder for the weight to shift, im really curvy I have a 30GG chest so I have massive breasts and thighs
I think I'm between 9 and a half - 10 stone and 5ft which is overweight for my height
Id love to get down to about 9 stone (when I was younger I used to starve myself to about 8 stone and feel great but I don't think I can go down to that now im 31)
do u have any tips
please help!
Original post by stickylikehoney
hi
I have PCOS and I've had a mild eating disorder since I've been about 15 cos of it.
I'm 31 now
Do you have tips on how to budge the weight?
now I'm 31 its much harder for the weight to shift, im really curvy I have a 30GG chest so I have massive breasts and thighs
I think I'm between 9 and a half - 10 stone and 5ft which is overweight for my height
Id love to get down to about 9 stone (when I was younger I used to starve myself to about 8 stone and feel great but I don't think I can go down to that now im 31)
do u have any tips
please help!

See my post above - there are no secrets, I just eat less and try to eat natural, unprocessed foods with lots of fruit and veg, avoid drinks with calories (and avoid diet drinks as they screw with your brain), and limit processed sugar to once a week. I also walk a lot (ideally, at least 1,5 hours a day) as I have found this to be the best and most sustainable method of exercise for me. This always works for me when I need to lose weight. I am 30 and the last time I managed to lose weight this way was 2-3 years ago so age does not need to be a a hindrance to weight loss.
See my post above - there are no secrets, I just eat less and try to eat natural, unprocessed foods with lots of fruit and veg, avoid drinks with calories (and avoid diet drinks as they screw with your brain), and limit processed sugar to once a week. I also walk a lot (ideally, at least 1,5 hours a day) as I have found this to be the best and most sustainable method of exercise for me. This always works for me when I need to lose weight. I am 30 and the last time I managed to lose weight this way was 2-3 years ago so age does not need to be a a hindrance to weight loss.

Thanks I naturally have a really curvy figure and for me I deffo find now that I'm 31 I don't lose weight nearly as easy as I did when I was a teen/in 20s.
I've been doing that (and starving too) and haven't been able to get smaller than a size 12.
I feel like I have a fear of food like I feel like I just should never be eating as the weight gain come on so rapidly. I think cos of PCOS I'll just have a mild eating disorder forever!
When I was younger I used to do this and then after a month I'd be more of a size 10 which never happens now.
Also my experience with PCOS and weight loss is that you need to be very strict to lose weight.
You can't just make small changes you have to be really strict or the weight just doesn't budge. So basically just a diet of chicken, fish, fruit and veg and a small amount of healthy fat or I don't lose weight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending