Nlilly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, i am looking at a 2022 entry to university, when it comes to entry requirements I notice most university's give a range. For Physics at Edinburgh the say AAA to ABB. does the lower boundary only apply to widening access( I don't apply) or as long as i get grade between these boundaries(say ABB) will i be considered for a place.

Thanks in advance.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For Edinburgh I think they normally indicate the lower boundary is for widening access applicants, and I think on the course pages they usually indicate if a course is particularly competitive by noting something along the lines of "applicants will routinely exceed the upper entry requirement and that meeting those requirements is not guarantee you will be made an offer". At other unis it varies, sometimes it might be widening access related, sometimes it won't be (for example at Exeter its not).
Nlilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
For Edinburgh I think they normally indicate the lower boundary is for widening access applicants, and I think on the course pages they usually indicate if a course is particularly competitive by noting something along the lines of "applicants will routinely exceed the upper entry requirement and that meeting those requirements is not guarantee you will be made an offer". At other unis it varies, sometimes it might be widening access related, sometimes it won't be (for example at Exeter its not).
so in general aim for the higher boundary AAA in this case but if you get in between the ABB and AAA for example AAB you would still be considered
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nlilly)
so in general aim for the higher boundary AAA in this case but if you get in between the ABB and AAA for example AAB you would still be considered
Hard to say for Edinburgh, and physics is I believe relatively competitive there. If it's just one potentially "aspirational" choice then I don't think it's an issue to include it in your options even if you do get rejected though, you get 5 for a reason!
Nlilly
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Hard to say for Edinburgh, and physics is I believe relatively competitive there. If it's just one potentially "aspirational" choice then I don't think it's an issue to include it in your options even if you do get rejected though, you get 5 for a reason!
yeah that's what I was thinking go for places like Aberdeen for guaranteed place BBB which is relatively low for physics and apply to places like Glasgow which give you a range much like Exeter where widening access doesn't apply for lower boundary and harder places like Edinburgh

Thanks !
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah that's what I was thinking go for places like Aberdeen for guaranteed place BBB which is relatively low for physics and apply to places like Glasgow which give you a range much like Exeter where widening access doesn't apply for lower boundary and harder places like Edinburgh

Thanks !
That sounds like a good range, applying to Edinburgh with those isn't a problem I think; it's ok to have one or two long shots on your UCAS
CJMc28
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I received an offer from Edinburgh Uni to study Biomedical Sciences that asks for me to get ABB. However, I’m slightly worried that I may have gotten a C in maths which would make my final grades on results day ABC. Would this be an instant rejection?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by CJMc28)
I received an offer from Edinburgh Uni to study Biomedical Sciences that asks for me to get ABB. However, I’m slightly worried that I may have gotten a C in maths which would make my final grades on results day ABC. Would this be an instant rejection?
No. Every set of results is viewed by a member of staff before a final decision is made. Nothing is automatic or instant.

Short answer: you might still get in, but no one can say how likely that is.
CJMc28
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
No. Every set of results is viewed by a member of staff before a final decision is made. Nothing is automatic or instant.

Short answer: you might still get in, but no one can say how likely that is.
Thank you!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi, i am looking at a 2022 entry to university, when it comes to entry requirements I notice most university's give a range. For Physics at Edinburgh the say AAA to ABB. does the lower boundary only apply to widening access( I don't apply) or as long as i get grade between these boundaries(say ABB) will i be considered for a place.
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - lots of useful info, including about 'grade ranges' : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (202)
43.72%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.21%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise