?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is music good while studying?
Roasted Potato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends on you and depends on your work.
There are plenty of studies both for and against it
And for and against different types of music, most find classical helps get work done faster
But for example you can't have music on in an art exam because it might influence your brain to make better art!
..M..
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know some people that find it useful to listen to music while revising, in terms of making it less boring and making them more likely to sit there and work, but there’s also people who will find music a distraction from their work and it will stop them concentrating as well as they could! So it depends on the person really!
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Couldnt write long form studies without it especially writing dissertations and essay, this is what Im on atm

however I agree for non writing studies like memorising or past papers defo not
Last edited by ForestShadow; 3 weeks ago
wackedman86
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.. Previous research has found numerous benefits to listening to music before performing a task... it improves attention and memory... It has also been found to alleviate depression and anxiety.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my experience it depends a bit on the type of music; shorter, modern music with lyrics/singing tends to distract me half the time, as I either think about the lyrics or spend half the time skipping through to find songs I like (or skip ads on youtube more frequently).

Usually long music without lyrics e.g. a lot of videogame music and most classical music, tends to be better for me. Videogame music is actually usually designed to a) loop continually and b) be background noise that is nice to listen to but not distracting and encouraging focus. So that is often pretty good as an option
K_JILL21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
depends what your studying 😏😏
ArcticChimera
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For me, usually no.
DEFINITELY tried though! If you're going to try it, I'd recommend a simple and repetitive instrumental song. Lyrical songs are a no-no in my eyes. Alternatively, I tried alpha waves, rain ambient sounds, fire sounds, even a café background sound with people chattering in the background; it helped reduce my stress levels.
OP, I recommend you try it a few times, and then see if you've actually retained the information hours, or even days later. It's a personal thing. From my experience, I prefer to work without music for 30 mins/1 hour then take a break listening to music. Regular breaks with music > studying to music for me.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It can be helpful for some people and not for others.
I find it pretty distracting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.62%
England (104)
33.77%
Belgium (26)
8.44%
Germany (37)
12.01%
Spain (5)
1.62%
Italy (26)
8.44%
Netherlands (10)
3.25%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise