References to volunteer at a charity shop?

Watch
SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I've applied to volunteer a few days a week at a local scope charity shop in my area. This is because I can't find a part time job at all so I have to resort to volunteering to develop my CV and gain more experience. However, they are asking me for 2 references. I've never had any previous employment before so I don't know who to include. I have emailed my university tutor asking if i could include him as a reference. However, I've never seen him in my entire life since the last year of uni was all online due to covid. So who else do I include?
JEM0681
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could ask your previous school or college tutors. Personal references that speak to your character are used when the candidate has minimal or no previous employers. You could ask a friend, or a family member. I hope that helps
Roasted Potato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Uni tutor is good one, he might be able to offer stuff on your grades and work ethic and should talk to other people to get advice
Teachers from high school or sixth form
Perhaps a spiritual leader like a church pastor or a rabi (I'm sure that spelling is wrong) if you are religious
Friend or family member if they sre in a professional environment
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
Uni tutor is good one, he might be able to offer stuff on your grades and work ethic and should talk to other people to get advice
Teachers from high school or sixth form
Perhaps a spiritual leader like a church pastor or a rabi (I'm sure that spelling is wrong) if you are religious
Friend or family member if they sre in a professional environment
(Original post by JEM0681)
You could ask your previous school or college tutors. Personal references that speak to your character are used when the candidate has minimal or no previous employers. You could ask a friend, or a family member. I hope that helps
But If I include my uni tutor would they not ask him for a character reference and how I am as a person. Since I've never even spoken to him and he hardly knows my personality would this still be ok? Would the shop call him and ask him more about me?
Roasted Potato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SongBird2020)
But If I include my uni tutor would they not ask him for a character reference and how I am as a person. Since I've never even spoken to him and he hardly knows my personality would this still be ok? Would the shop call him and ask him more about me?
I've never had my reference actually checked but that doesn't mean yours won't. They might email him to send a reference written. And even if a person hasn't met you they should be able to say something good just by your record which your tutor will have access to.
You have to ask for his permission to be a reference anyway and he might point you in the direction of someone more appropriate
I assume on your CV you are unable to offer any work experience so the shop won't be exoecting much. Is there a lecturer who is more familiar with you, you could put down instead if you sre really worried
SongBird2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
I've never had my reference actually checked but that doesn't mean yours won't. They might email him to send a reference written. And even if a person hasn't met you they should be able to say something good just by your record which your tutor will have access to.
You have to ask for his permission to be a reference anyway and he might point you in the direction of someone more appropriate
I assume on your CV you are unable to offer any work experience so the shop won't be exoecting much. Is there a lecturer who is more familiar with you, you could put down instead if you sre really worried
I see, hopefully they should have a good idea of my work ethic if they have access to my marks and grades in previous assignments. My last year of uni was fully online so there's been no chances to actually get direct face to face interaction with lecturers. But hopefully my academics should be enough to go off, thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (65)
29.82%
No (153)
70.18%

Watched Threads