SleepyBeans
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What types of things would you study in them and what jobs prospects would come out?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I studied Biochemistry at the University of Bristol and it was pretty good.
My modules were 1st year: Biochemistry; Biological Chemistry; Normal and Tumour Cells; Pathological Responses of Cells.
2nd year modules: Recombinant DNA Technology; Macromolecular Structure, Dynamics, and Function; Infection and Immunity; Molecular Cell Biology; Gene Expression and Rearrangement
3rd year modules: Advanced Cell Biology, The Dynamic Proteome, Cellular Information, Advanced Options, Research Project

So a lot about the internal workings of the cell - genetics, metabolism, signalling cascades - and how to interact with it in terms of drugs and research techniques. IIRC there were other modules offered in the areas of pharmacology, drug design, and physiology but I chose the ones above.

Now I’m at the tail end of a MSc in cell and gene therapy. That’s also been good and the degree in Biochemistry set me up for it well. I’m still not really sure what I want to do after but I’m fairly confident I can find a role in an academic lab as a technician or research associate. Plenty of people who graduated in my year at Bristol went on to get roles in large pharmaceutical companies and other jobs in industry, so there’s that route which would be more appealing if I wasn’t a naive idealistic communist kinda person. Anyway I hope this has helped
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey! Thought I'd add a microbiology perspective here. I do MBiol Microbiology and I currently love it.

They're fairly different degrees within the same sort of 'school' or discipline. Biochemistry will focus more on the inner workings of cells whereas microbiology is more on the inner workings of microbes (bacteria, viruses, etc.) and then looks at the inner working of cells in context of infections. They're both involved with molecular and cellular biology by microbiology tends to focus on infection and biochem focuses more on physiology-based diseases.

From experience, they tend to have similar job prospects which can range from lab based to non-lab based to non-science based. People I know have gone on to do masters/PhDs/research/academic careers, others have gone into industrial roles in big pharma companies or into the NHS, some have gone into patent law, science writing, GEM, the admin of science companies, and other have gone into roles completely unrelated to their degree but using the skills they gained.

Hope that's helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads