may345
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Going to the university of Glasgow to study was my dream for ages; I studied really hard, and achieved AAAA in my fifth year and AAA in sixth, meeting their sixth year requirements to study law. However I was rejected on the basis of numbers. I was advised against taking five Highers in fifth year, as I was told I didn’t have to for law, but this was clearly bad advice, as Glasgow rejected me on that basis. I’m currently finishing my first year studying law at the university of Aberdeen. The course is good, but I feel completely unsatisfied living in Aberdeen itself. I’m not set on studying law either, I’m worried about spending years on a course I don’t enjoy and don’t actually want to do. Part of me wants to start a new course in a different uni, because I just have a gut feeling that I’m never going to be happy here. However, I’m worried that if I do this, it will just cause practical complications, as well as being a huge waste of time and money. Any advice?
Kaneki Amano
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Funny you mention that because my case is quite similar to yours so I hope you'll find what I have to say to be of some use : ))

I did the foundation year before the beginning of the first year of my engineering degree, so I have 2 years of tuition fee that's been used up. I presume that you went directly onto your first year unlike myself but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. In my case, I loved the city but didn't like the course and had the same worry as you; worried about spending years on a course I don’t enjoy and don’t actually want to do. What I'd suggest is to get into contact with the careers service at your Uni and have a chat with them about what types of law you can get into by the end of your degree. You can also email your personal tutor about your issues or even talk to the lecturers themselves (which is what I did) about the future career potential of your degree.

(Original post by may345)
Part of me wants to start a new course in a different uni, because I just have a gut feeling that I’m never going to be happy here. However, I’m worried that if I do this, it will just cause practical complications, as well as being a huge waste of time and money. Any advice?
Talk to everyone I mentioned above and if you still have that gut feeling, pull the trigger. It is a big decision to make, no doubt about that, but you know what's best for you. As for practical complications, do you mean in terms of student finance? Since this is only your first year you should be okay. Lets say you wanted to start a new degree in Mechanical Engineering and the course was 3 years long, you'd still be able to get tuition loan for all years of your study. SFE work it out like this:

Length of New Course + A Gift Year - Previous Years Studied = Years of Tuition Loan available

i.e. using the Mech Eng example would be

3 + 1 - 1 = 3

Totally covered

I hope this helps you out
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi may345,

I think this is something you should bring up to an advisor within your university. Your course and where you live are both going to be huge parts of your life for the next few years, so you should definitely make sure you're as happy with them as you can be. You might be able to discuss things like deferring your studies for a year so you can think about what it is you really want to do/try out other things.

As far as I understand you're a Scottish student, so it is also probably worth contacting SAAS and asking them what your situation would be RE payment of fees if you move course/uni. They'll have been in a similar situation before, so they'll know what would happen on their side. This information can help you figure out exactly what option suits you best, and you won't have to commit to anything right away.

The time you've spent in Aberdeen, even if you decide to leave, will have given you some valuable experience and that's definitely worth something, so you've not wasted any time. Figuring out a course isn't right for you in first year is good going, a lot of people don't figure that out until they're years into their course!

I hope this has helped. There are plenty of options out there, one will be right for you. And if you've just left high school, you've got plenty of time and a couple years spent figuring out where you want to go will make getting there so much more worthwhile.

Cameron
Student Ambassador/Software Engineering student
may345
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Hi may345,

I think this is something you should bring up to an advisor within your university. Your course and where you live are both going to be huge parts of your life for the next few years, so you should definitely make sure you're as happy with them as you can be. You might be able to discuss things like deferring your studies for a year so you can think about what it is you really want to do/try out other things.

As far as I understand you're a Scottish student, so it is also probably worth contacting SAAS and asking them what your situation would be RE payment of fees if you move course/uni. They'll have been in a similar situation before, so they'll know what would happen on their side. This information can help you figure out exactly what option suits you best, and you won't have to commit to anything right away.

The time you've spent in Aberdeen, even if you decide to leave, will have given you some valuable experience and that's definitely worth something, so you've not wasted any time. Figuring out a course isn't right for you in first year is good going, a lot of people don't figure that out until they're years into their course!

I hope this has helped. There are plenty of options out there, one will be right for you. And if you've just left high school, you've got plenty of time and a couple years spent figuring out where you want to go will make getting there so much more worthwhile.

Cameron
Student Ambassador/Software Engineering student
Thank you very much for your advice! I’m looking to get in contact with some unis and get their advice on what my next steps should be
may345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaneki Amano)
Funny you mention that because my case is quite similar to yours so I hope you'll find what I have to say to be of some use : ))

I did the foundation year before the beginning of the first year of my engineering degree, so I have 2 years of tuition fee that's been used up. I presume that you went directly onto your first year unlike myself but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. In my case, I loved the city but didn't like the course and had the same worry as you; worried about spending years on a course I don’t enjoy and don’t actually want to do. What I'd suggest is to get into contact with the careers service at your Uni and have a chat with them about what types of law you can get into by the end of your degree. You can also email your personal tutor about your issues or even talk to the lecturers themselves (which is what I did) about the future career potential of your degree.

Talk to everyone I mentioned above and if you still have that gut feeling, pull the trigger. It is a big decision to make, no doubt about that, but you know what's best for you. As for practical complications, do you mean in terms of student finance? Since this is only your first year you should be okay. Lets say you wanted to start a new degree in Mechanical Engineering and the course was 3 years long, you'd still be able to get tuition loan for all years of your study. SFE work it out like this:

Length of New Course + A Gift Year - Previous Years Studied = Years of Tuition Loan available

i.e. using the Mech Eng example would be

3 + 1 - 1 = 3

Totally covered

I hope this helps you out
Thank you very much for your advice, I appreciate it lots!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.15%
England (109)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.31%
Germany (38)
11.69%
Spain (6)
1.85%