The Student Room Group

Not living in halls for first year of uni

So im going to uni in Manchester and most of the halls that are available now are pretty expensive for me, above £160.

so instead ive been looking at houses to stay in but does anyone now or can anyone tell me about their own experiences of not living in halls at the first year of uni. Im scared that ill miss out on the "univeristy social life" aspect. Id like to know how was it for you, social, financial aspects, experiences, making friends etc.

a bit of context: the house is a 19 Minuit walk away from uni, 5 min cycling, shared with two other, one is the landlord who is in her mid 30s and another person similar to my age. im starting uni this September doing psychology.

i hope someone can help and tell me aout their own experinces. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Sharing with just 1 other person is a risk. If you don’t get on well with that person it’s going to be a very difficult year.

If you’re hoping to experience the social side of being a fresher then finding a shared house with 4+ people would normally be a better option. There’s more chance that you’ll get on well with one of your housemates that way.

Alternatively have a look for short term accommodation options. There’s often a lot of rooms available to take over the tenancy for in the first few months of university as people drop out.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Sharing with just 1 other person is a risk. If you don’t get on well with that person it’s going to be a very difficult year.

If you’re hoping to experience the social side of being a fresher then finding a shared house with 4+ people would normally be a better option. There’s more chance that you’ll get on well with one of your housemates that way.

Alternatively have a look for short term accommodation options. There’s often a lot of rooms available to take over the tenancy for in the first few months of university as people drop out.

thank you for replying!!

that makes alot of sense, that is one of my biggest things im worried about missing out on uni life more the social life. most of the accommodations that are left available are mainly an en suit and kitchen shared between 4 people. ohhh thats very helpful i will look into short term accommodation options :smile:)

if you have any personal experiences or advice especially with the first year of uni accommodation pls let me know but other than that i hope ur day is going well!!
Manchester university usually guarantee a place in university halls but don’t allocate until August. I’m guessing you’re not going to Manchester university but one of the other universities?

They should all offer some support with finding shared housing (even just a way to find other course/classmates to find a shared house together)
Reply 4
Original post by Zara_qwe
So im going to uni in Manchester and most of the halls that are available now are pretty expensive for me, above £160.

so instead ive been looking at houses to stay in but does anyone now or can anyone tell me about their own experiences of not living in halls at the first year of uni. Im scared that ill miss out on the "univeristy social life" aspect. Id like to know how was it for you, social, financial aspects, experiences, making friends etc.

a bit of context: the house is a 19 Minuit walk away from uni, 5 min cycling, shared with two other, one is the landlord who is in her mid 30s and another person similar to my age. im starting uni this September doing psychology.

i hope someone can help and tell me aout their own experinces. :smile:

Are you going to the University of Manchester?

Will your loan from SFE not be enough for your accommodation?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
Are you going to the University of Manchester?

Will your loan from SFE not be enough for your accommodation?

for my load i have the full maintenence loan, however, i have to at least consider the house as my parents are SUPER strict and overprotective lmao its hard even though im legally an adult hahah

and i firmed MMU and UOM as my insurence. If i get better than expected ill go through clearing to UOM if that makes sense :smile: you?
Reply 6
Original post by Zara_qwe

Are you sure about the pricing?

I've just had a look at one for MMU and it doesn't seem to be as expensive as that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending