opilum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The situation is that in my A-Levels i did very poorly due to a multitude of factors such as constant moving, terrible sixth form and discriminatory staff. Now in university I have definitely improved and shown my capabilities and am achieving high 2:1's in almost all of my assignments and am working towards a first according to my lecturers.
I would have to transfer to a university in London due to my family relocating but I am worried that my poor a-level grades will oversee my improvement now as many universities require the first year entry requirements to be met and my achievements from that period is not at all a reflection of who I am now.
Any advice?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t worry. They’ll see how you’re doing at university and that’ll help balance out the low alevel grades.
They may ask you to restart year 1 with them but that’s fairly common
opilum
Rep:
?
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
Don’t worry. They’ll see how you’re doing at university and that’ll help balance out the low alevel grades.
They may ask you to restart year 1 with them but that’s fairly common
I am currently in second year, going onto third year so I can imagine its nearly impossible to get into a third year module so I really don't mind repeating second year. If anything it'll give me more time to improve but I'm not sure about restarting from first year. Do you think this applies for top universities within London too?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by opilum)
I am currently in second year, going onto third year so I can imagine its nearly impossible to get into a third year module so I really don't mind repeating second year. If anything it'll give me more time to improve but I'm not sure about restarting from first year. Do you think this applies for top universities within London too?
The best advice is to get your ucas application in asap. Assessing compatibility of your previous study with the first year of the degrees you’re applying to takes a lot of time and effort so the sooner you apply the sooner that can start.

Some universities and courses specifically state that they don’t accept applications for 2nd year entry. But that should be clear on either ucas or the university website or both.
opilum
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
The best advice is to get your ucas application in asap. Assessing compatibility of your previous study with the first year of the degrees you’re applying to takes a lot of time and effort so the sooner you apply the sooner that can start.

Some universities and courses specifically state that they don’t accept applications for 2nd year entry. But that should be clear on either ucas or the university website or both.
Ill definitely make sure to do that. Do you think it's worth applying to the top universities with pretty high a level requirements or would it just be a rejection ultimately?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by opilum)
Ill definitely make sure to do that. Do you think it's worth applying to the top universities with pretty high a level requirements or would it just be a rejection ultimately?
You need to check with them directly.

If they’re encouraging then apply. If they would automatically reject you then they’ll say so. Make sure that you explain that you’re in yr 2 and will be applying to enter into yr 2.
opilum
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You need to check with them directly.

If they’re encouraging then apply. If they would automatically reject you then they’ll say so. Make sure that you explain that you’re in yr 2 and will be applying to enter into yr 2.
Great, thank you. Ill post updates here if all goes well hopefully!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads