Is there such thing as a horse riding BTEC

Watch
_lauren_111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was hoping to do gcse horse riding but apparently we don’t do gcse we do BTEC so is there such thing as doing a horse riding BTEC
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There isn't a GCSE In Horse-riding anyway

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...-2010-qcf.html
rnorgenstern
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, not specifically just for riding. I’m currently doing an Extended Diploma (City and Guilds) in Equine Management, where riding is (an optional) part of the coursework and you will get examined on it. The course focuses on all the other parts of managing and caring for horses alongside the riding, and it is really fun! If you want to know more about it, I recommend looking at the websites of various colleges that offer a form of the course — Hartpury, Reaseheath, Writtle, Morton Morrell, Brackenhurst etc.
There’s also other courses you can do such as apprenticeships/racing courses which might focus more on the riding side.

To do riding at GCSE, it would have been through the PE option where you could choose several sports to do coursework on.
LuElse
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rnorgenstern)
No, not specifically just for riding. I’m currently doing an Extended Diploma (City and Guilds) in Equine Management, where riding is (an optional) part of the coursework and you will get examined on it. The course focuses on all the other parts of managing and caring for horses alongside the riding, and it is really fun! If you want to know more about it, I recommend looking at the websites of various colleges that offer a form of the course — Hartpury, Reaseheath, Writtle, Morton Morrell, Brackenhurst etc.
There’s also other courses you can do such as apprenticeships/racing courses which might focus more on the riding side.

To do riding at GCSE, it would have been through the PE option where you could choose several sports to do coursework on.
Hi, I’ve been offered a place on the Extended Diploma in Equine Management. Do you mind if I ask you some things about the course…
Do you get lots of homework?
How many hours each week do you actually spend with the horses compared with learning in the classroom?
I’m sure not all colleges are the same but it’s useful to chat to people doing the course! Thanks x
Ram Ranch
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That is amazing, I should have done A level sword fighting
Jousting
Report card reading how I struggle with mathematics, but I can round up the local peasantry as good as any Baron in the entire realm
LuElse
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ram Ranch)
That is amazing, I should have done A level sword fighting
Jousting
Report card reading how I struggle with mathematics, but I can round up the local peasantry as good as any Baron in the entire realm
The UK equine industry is worth nearly £5 billion and provides employment opportunities to thousands of people. But perhaps these numbers are too large for you to understand, given your difficulty with mathematics.
rnorgenstern
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuElse)
Hi, I’ve been offered a place on the Extended Diploma in Equine Management. Do you mind if I ask you some things about the course…
Do you get lots of homework?
How many hours each week do you actually spend with the horses compared with learning in the classroom?
I’m sure not all colleges are the same but it’s useful to chat to people doing the course! Thanks x
Hi, congrats on your offer!

We actually don’t get much homework at all, but that might just be my college! During the start of the course, we had quite a few assignments, but we’d very rarely get more than three pieces of work to do each week. Now we’re at the end of first year, we literally get nothing other than revision for exams.

So, obviously I have no idea how things will be run in September — my college is still discussing it — but I believe everyone will be reverted back to a ‘normal’ timetable without online lessons and the like. And, I don’t know how other colleges have been running, but I imagine it will be somewhat similar?

My college is generally quite small, with about 60 people on Yr1 and Yr2 Equine combined, so we were split into groups and given a day to go in. On that day, we’d start at 7:45 and finish at 5:00. There, we’d complete our morning and evening duties (daily yard tasks such as bring in/turn out, skipping/mucking out, grooming, haynets etc.) and ride twice for an hour each. We’d also do a practical lesson for about 1 and a half hours which would consist of anything you can’t learn in a classroom (so competition grooming, plaiting, clipping, first aid, bandaging, different types of tack, close-up anatomy etc.).
We now also have another day where we go in for in-person theory lectures, and obviously online lessons (no more than three a day) on the remaining days of the week. Then, we’d have a day on the weekend where we had to go into the yard and do a full day of duties. A normal timetable would see us going into the yard on different days for riding, practical and duties, as well as our theory lessons around campus.
Hours you spend with the horses vs in a classroom does depend on the size of your college, their facilities and number of horses. As part of the first year course, you’ll ride twice (if you choose to do riding), do practicals, and you have to complete 150 hours of work experience through the yard (I believe this is standard for any college that runs this course), so you’ll definitely be spending quite a bit of time with the horses! However, you will have to do quite a bit of written work at points, and there will be both theory and practical exams.

If you have any more questions, ask away! It’s quite daunting starting when you don’t really know what to expect, so I hope I’ve helped at least a bit :b
LuElse
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by rnorgenstern)
Hi, congrats on your offer!

We actually don’t get much homework at all, but that might just be my college! During the start of the course, we had quite a few assignments, but we’d very rarely get more than three pieces of work to do each week. Now we’re at the end of first year, we literally get nothing other than revision for exams.

So, obviously I have no idea how things will be run in September — my college is still discussing it — but I believe everyone will be reverted back to a ‘normal’ timetable without online lessons and the like. And, I don’t know how other colleges have been running, but I imagine it will be somewhat similar?

My college is generally quite small, with about 60 people on Yr1 and Yr2 Equine combined, so we were split into groups and given a day to go in. On that day, we’d start at 7:45 and finish at 5:00. There, we’d complete our morning and evening duties (daily yard tasks such as bring in/turn out, skipping/mucking out, grooming, haynets etc.) and ride twice for an hour each. We’d also do a practical lesson for about 1 and a half hours which would consist of anything you can’t learn in a classroom (so competition grooming, plaiting, clipping, first aid, bandaging, different types of tack, close-up anatomy etc.).
We now also have another day where we go in for in-person theory lectures, and obviously online lessons (no more than three a day) on the remaining days of the week. Then, we’d have a day on the weekend where we had to go into the yard and do a full day of duties. A normal timetable would see us going into the yard on different days for riding, practical and duties, as well as our theory lessons around campus.
Hours you spend with the horses vs in a classroom does depend on the size of your college, their facilities and number of horses. As part of the first year course, you’ll ride twice (if you choose to do riding), do practicals, and you have to complete 150 hours of work experience through the yard (I believe this is standard for any college that runs this course), so you’ll definitely be spending quite a bit of time with the horses! However, you will have to do quite a bit of written work at points, and there will be both theory and practical exams.

If you have any more questions, ask away! It’s quite daunting starting when you don’t really know what to expect, so I hope I’ve helped at least a bit :b
Hi again, thanks so much for your reply! You’ve been really helpful! The course sounds great xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (104)
27.51%
England (127)
33.6%
Belgium (30)
7.94%
Germany (40)
10.58%
Spain (8)
2.12%