The Student Room Group

Further maths GCSE grade boundaries

I'm doing a GCSE this year for further maths, and for our 'assessments' (exams) we've been given 4 exam papers over 4 lessons. The total marks is around 220. The exact further maths exam has no real grade boundaries as it's never been properly tested before - wonder if anyone has any idea - thank you x
ok so most (AQA) gcses were like 65-75% for a 9 in their first/second year. If we understand this an apply it to further maths which has only recently been updated for 9-1 to be more in line with AS-level mathematics we can perhaps say within a stand dev of 5 that you will need 70% for a 9 and then scale down from there so like 64 percent for an 8 and 55 percent for a 7. But wait, further maths is more difficult/advanced than regular 9-1 gcses sat by the country (i.e gcse maths) so we need to take down the percentages a bit as people will score lower...but then the cohort actually doing further maths will be the top mathematicians anyway and it will be self-selecting so this will adjust/over adjust for the lower marks resulting in them being higher than we are guessing right now...
ok so to conclude i have no idea and neither will anyone else it will obviously just be guess work.
Original post by CharUK
I'm doing a GCSE this year for further maths, and for our 'assessments' (exams) we've been given 4 exam papers over 4 lessons. The total marks is around 220. The exact further maths exam has no real grade boundaries as it's never been properly tested before - wonder if anyone has any idea - thank you x

Hi, I got a grade 8 in further maths last year and I got around 60-70% in my exams. Hope that helps. I do have to note that I did not take official gcse exams. Lockdown happened last year so I was 'given' a grade 8 based on my previous assessment performance. If you ask me I shoud've gotten a 9 considering I did it in year 10 xD
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest