The Student Room Group

Oxford footnote referencing

I had a few questions regarding how to structure my referencing

1) All of my sources are online however, a lot of it is like articles or journals that sometimes have volume and issue number). Would i reference it like a website or like a article or journal or whatever?

2) How would i reference a PDF file?
3) When writing up my bibliography, is it the exact same as the footnote but instead i write the surname first in each citation and the whole thing in alphabetical order?

4) if i use a website more than once but on different pages within my essay and i use op cit, do i just write the author initials and surname? what if theres no author?

5) if i use the same journal twice in a row but i reference different pages within the journal, how would i refer to it?

6) if someones name is idk Dr Shaun Bailey, would i reference it as Dr S. Bailey or just S. Bailey? Same goes with like 'Sir bla johnson'

7) when writing the date i accessed the source, can i write Last Accessed .... or am i not allowed to write the 'last accessed' part?

8) In my bibliography, do i just write all the sources i've used with their page numbers or without? bc i've referenced the same journal but different pages within it so would i write whatever pages i used?

9) how do i reference transcripts from online?

yeesh i've got a lot of questions but lol thanks for reading this far
(edited 2 years ago)
1) any source with a volume and issue number is a journal article, cite it as that

2) depends what the pdf is. if it has a journal name, its an article; it could also be a thesis

3) you shouldn't really be writing a bibliography/reference list in this decade - word and docs both have referencing tools (easy to use) and there are others out there. a footnote is more than just a reference in your bibliography, here's a copypaste of a footnote in something im reading right now:

1. For a good statement of the view that we will be violating the rights of vulnerable people if we do not act to prevent global warming, see S. Caney, “Cosmopolitan Justice, Rights,

and Global Climate Change,” Canadian Journal of Law and Jurisprudence 19 (2006): 255–78.

Spoiler

4) a website always has an author, even if its corporate. not quite sure what this questions asks but if you cite different pages, they're probably difference resources in the context of a website
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
1) any source with a volume and issue number is a journal article, cite it as that

2) depends what the pdf is. if it has a journal name, its an article; it could also be a thesis

3) you shouldn't really be writing a bibliography/reference list in this decade - word and docs both have referencing tools (easy to use) and there are others out there. a footnote is more than just a reference in your bibliography, here's a copypaste of a footnote in something im reading right now:

Spoiler

4) a website always has an author, even if its corporate. not quite sure what this questions asks but if you cite different pages, they're probably difference resources in the context of a website

hey thanks for replying!

Im not sure what you mean for 3 so if you could explain that further that'd be great thanks! Im doing this for my EPQ essay and we have to have a bibliography so its not really something I have a say in. Im using the footnotes to refer to my sources used instead of referencing in the text if that makes sense.

I realised Q4 sounds confusing so i've edited it and i've added a few more questions so if you could look at that too that'd be great.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it! I might attach a few examples of what i've done to double check if im doing it right
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sumayaaa
Im not sure what you mean for 3 so if you could explain that further that'd be great thanks! Im doing this for my EPQ essay and we have to have a bibliography so its not really something I have a say in. Im using the footnotes to refer to my sources used instead of referencing in the text if that makes sense.

you shouldn't really be writing a bibliography/reference list in this decade - word and docs both have referencing tools (easy to use) and there are others out there.

you shouldn't be writing a bibliography because word and google docs do it for you without you worrying about how it should be formatted. ask your teacher if you don't know how to use it - it'll save you time and effort
Reply 4
you shouldn't be writing a bibliography because word and google docs do it for you without you worrying about how it should be formatted. ask your teacher if you don't know how to use it - it'll save you time and effort

HUH?? i tried that and it didnt work since i manually typed up all my footnotes:s-smilie: i really regret doing oxford footnotes now sigh.
Original post by sumayaaa
HUH?? i tried that and it didnt work since i manually typed up all my footnotes:s-smilie: i really regret doing oxford footnotes now sigh.

its a relatively unusual referencing system i don't know why you'd use it

obviously the word referencing system isn't going to work if you typed them yourself - that's not how word handles references. change now before you're any deeper in and usual something like harvard/mla/chicago/apa
Reply 6
its a relatively unusual referencing system i don't know why you'd use it

obviously the word referencing system isn't going to work if you typed them yourself - that's not how word handles references. change now before you're any deeper in and usual something like harvard/mla/chicago/apa

i only did it to impress my supervisor since its their fav referencing method ugh
its fine i guess, i've done all my footnotes i'll just copy and paste them, switch the first names and surnames and put them in alphabetical order

thanks for all the help tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending