The Student Room Group

Good uni's?

I'm really unsure about the whole uni thing but on top of that every uni I've looked at has people saying how bad it is, so i though I'd ask here which uni's are actually worth it to try put one of many issues to bed
every everything has people saying how bad it is

that's what happens when you ask individuals instead of getting the whole picture as well
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
every everything has people saying how bad it is

that's what happens when you ask individuals instead of getting the whole picture as well

yeah that's fair, i just didn't want to waste anything by applying somewhere objectively crap so i thought it would be better to ask than not
First think about your grades. How high would they be on a good day and a bad day (with plenty of hard work before hand). The subject matters as well. Once you've done that you can look at a few league tables to get a gist of the prestige. Look at the ones you can get into and see if they're right for you. I didn't have to look much into 'is it right for me' because I'm quite chill, so I didn't caare about city/campus nightlife and how far from home. It is definitely worth going to uni if you need it for your dream job but don't feel you have to.

Also the main compnent of uni enjoyment is how you put yourself out there, so dont worry about people meeting bad people and having a bad time.
Reply 4
Original post by The yung bean
First think about your grades. How high would they be on a good day and a bad day (with plenty of hard work before hand). The subject matters as well. Once you've done that you can look at a few league tables to get a gist of the prestige. Look at the ones you can get into and see if they're right for you. I didn't have to look much into 'is it right for me' because I'm quite chill, so I didn't caare about city/campus nightlife and how far from home. It is definitely worth going to uni if you need it for your dream job but don't feel you have to.

Also the main compnent of uni enjoyment is how you put yourself out there, so dont worry about people meeting bad people and having a bad time.

i'm kinda similar with the 'right for me' part, just worried about the place being objectively bad yknow? and the grades thing is an sort of an issue as i'm not the best, i'm only really even thinking about going as otherwise i'll end up as a hermit as how introverted i am
Original post by Gaddolinium
I'm really unsure about the whole uni thing but on top of that every uni I've looked at has people saying how bad it is, so i though I'd ask here which uni's are actually worth it to try put one of many issues to bed

Hey @Gaddolinium,

What course are you looking at studying?

Every uni is going to have people that have bad experiences, unfortunately that is just how it is with everything.

I'd suggest looking at uni's based on the course you want to do - look at which uni suits your needs the best, and then the modules that the course provides and whether you think you would enjoy studying those. Look at uni location and think about whether you want to go to a campus uni or a city based uni - I was personally set on a campus based university so Reading was perfect for me. If you can, try to visit the campus or go to a virtual open day and see if you like it. Chat to ambassadors and current students there to see what they think about the uni.

It's important not to base your decision on what other people think, because what is right for you might not be right for someone else. Also, try not to be too focused on league tables - there are so many great uni's that some people don't even consider.

I hope this helps in some way. If you want any information about the University of Reading, I would be happy to help. Good luck with the search!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending