The Student Room Group

Getting a job in first year

I'm planning to go to Uni of Leeds and my maintenance loan only leaves a few hundred pounds spare for actual maintenance after my rent. Ideally I think I would get a job in first year, as well as use my savings and leftover of the loan, but I'm thinking it must be really tricky to get a job in first year with all the other students applying as well.

Is it really hard to find one in first year (in terms of any uni, not just UOL)?
the main thing that makes it hard to find a job as a young student isn’t necessarily other students, it’s your skill set and experience. If you are lacking in either areas you’ll find it quite difficult. places may also be unwilling to take you on if they know you’re a uni student who can’t be called in at the drop of a hat, which also raises the question of are you totally sure you want a job in first year.
Original post by Anonymous
the main thing that makes it hard to find a job as a young student isn’t necessarily other students, it’s your skill set and experience. If you are lacking in either areas you’ll find it quite difficult. places may also be unwilling to take you on if they know you’re a uni student who can’t be called in at the drop of a hat, which also raises the question of are you totally sure you want a job in first year.

that’s true, i don’t think first year jobs are that common from what i’ve seen. however i’m not sure how other people cope then if their maintenance loan doesn’t cover them, is it all just parent money?
Original post by bbcweatherapp
I'm planning to go to Uni of Leeds and my maintenance loan only leaves a few hundred pounds spare for actual maintenance after my rent. Ideally I think I would get a job in first year, as well as use my savings and leftover of the loan, but I'm thinking it must be really tricky to get a job in first year with all the other students applying as well.

Is it really hard to find one in first year (in terms of any uni, not just UOL)?

Hey @bbcweatherapp,

It's great to hear that you are going to uni this year! Congratulations!

From personal experience, I wouldn't say it is too difficult to find a job in first year. I became a student ambassador in my first year which gave me a lot of flexibility over my hours etc. Generally, uni's need a lot of ambassadors every year. I would suggest having a look at this, and also other jobs on campus like bars or open day tour guides. Personally I have never heard of anyone having a problem getting a job on campus here at Reading, but I can't speak for anywhere else.

Another idea would be to look at part time jobs in the local area like shops. Remember, whilst there might be a lot of students in first year looking for jobs, a lot of students will have also just finished university and so there should be a lot of openings.

I hope this helps you out - good luck!!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Reply 4
Original post by bbcweatherapp

I am applying to Uni this year so cant speak form personal experience but my sister is in her second year and she managed to get a job fine in her first year and she's at the same one still now.
She is a zoology student and so she played to her strengths, you could do that too.
If not there are plenty of other jobs like bartending or waiter/waitressing for example.
The only thing is that if you aren't planning to be at that job for long and don't have any previous experience they will be less willing to hire you because they will need to train you and it's not worth it for them if you don't want the job longterm
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest