aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I changed my options (for next year) to Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science recently (wanting to do CS at uni) however everyone keeps telling me that I should pick something else since my options are ‘too narrow’, what do you guys think I should do? Do you think my choices are fine for a CS degree at a good uni or should I reconsider?
Last edited by aesamira; 2 months ago
AndreaSonic2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, A-Level Maths student here! I don’t know much about Further Maths or Computer Science, but Maths is spilt into Pure and Statistics/Mechanics, and some of the content has been touched on in GCSEs and you expand on it. If you enjoy the A-Levels you’ve picked, then stick with them, but look into Unis and see what you’d need to do a CS course.
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndreaSonic2)
Hi, A-Level Maths student here! I don’t know much about Further Maths or Computer Science, but Maths is spilt into Pure and Statistics/Mechanics, and some of the content has been touched on in GCSEs and you expand on it. If you enjoy the A-Levels you’ve picked, then stick with them, but look into Unis and see what you’d need to do a CS course.
ahh thank youu, i’ll look at more unis to get better idea of the requirements
SpannersVC
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Check carefully about the FM as some expect that plus 3 others.
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpannersVC)
Check carefully about the FM as some expect that plus 3 others.
do you think that it would be better to do 4?
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by aesamira)
do you think that it would be better to do 4?
Imo yes, some uni's only consider further maths as a 4th.
I am doing a joint CS degree rn, and most people I talk to have A levels in: Maths (Everyone has this), Computer Science (Again, very popular), Further Maths (A good 80% of people I know have this), Physics (A popular science amongst us), Chemistry (Not as popular as physics, but I saw some around).

If you have more questions about a CS or Maths degree, lmk
EstL
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your choices are good, just make sure you have lots of relevant experience to put on your personal statement
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rarest)
Imo yes, some uni's only consider further maths as a 4th.
I am doing a joint CS degree rn, and most people I talk to have A levels in: Maths (Everyone has this), Computer Science (Again, very popular), Further Maths (A good 80% of people I know have this), Physics (A popular science amongst us), Chemistry (Not as popular as physics, but I saw some around).

If you have more questions about a CS or Maths degree, lmk
Hey! So you think it would be a majorrr disadvantage? Because I think that I might struggle doing four :/

If I were to take three should I take Maths, Further Maths & Computer Science (and maybe an epq) or should I take Maths, Computer Science and something else? Or would it be better to do four including fm? 🥲
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by EstL)
Your choices are good, just make sure you have lots of relevant experience to put on your personal statement
Heyy, just a quick question, what type of experience would you suggest getting?
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey! So you think it would be a majorrr disadvantage? Because I think that I might struggle doing four :/

If I were to take three should I take Maths, Further Maths & Computer Science (and maybe an epq) or should I take Maths, Computer Science and something else? Or would it be better to do four including fm? 🥲
'Maths, Further Maths, CS' will prepare you extremely well. The only reason why I said it might be a bit bad is that lots of unis/some schools only consider Further Maths as a fourth subject. That's why its generally recommended to take it as a 4th.

Maths, Computer Science, Something Else(preferably a science) is also a great combination for CS and most unis will be fine with this. The only place where not doing Further Maths might give you a disadvantage is probably Cambridge where virtually every applicant I met had FM.

You asked below about relevant experience, I'll give you a few ideas below but mainly it can be anything that demonstrates your passion for computer science:
Game Development, Programming, Web Development, Doing well in computing competitions like Bebras and reading books/going to talks about computer science all demonstrate passion for your subjects.

This being said, make sure you do very well in your maths A level, as that is what most places look for. Even if you end up not doing computer science A level, if you have a strong maths A level with some coding experience, you have a good chance to get into a computer science degree.
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rarest)
'Maths, Further Maths, CS' will prepare you extremely well. The only reason why I said it might be a bit bad is that lots of unis/some schools only consider Further Maths as a fourth subject. That's why its generally recommended to take it as a 4th.

Maths, Computer Science, Something Else(preferably a science) is also a great combination for CS and most unis will be fine with this. The only place where not doing Further Maths might give you a disadvantage is probably Cambridge where virtually every applicant I met had FM.

You asked below about relevant experience, I'll give you a few ideas below but mainly it can be anything that demonstrates your passion for computer science:
Game Development, Programming, Web Development, Doing well in computing competitions like Bebras and reading books/going to talks about computer science all demonstrate passion for your subjects.

This being said, make sure you do very well in your maths A level, as that is what most places look for. Even if you end up not doing computer science A level, if you have a strong maths A level with some coding experience, you have a good chance to get into a computer science degree.
ahhh thank you so much for this reply, it was very useful!! THANK YOUUU
Plscanuhelpme
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Further maths is usually only a good idea to take as a fourth subject (as mentioned above)...
Maybe consider smth else (which gcse subjects did u find easiest?)
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I changed my options (for next year) to Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science recently (wanting to do CS at uni) however everyone keeps telling me that I should pick something else since my options are ‘too narrow’, what do you guys think I should do? Do you think my choices are fine for a CS degree at a good uni or should I reconsider?
Hey

Lots of students do A-Level combinations like that and that is perfectly fine if it is an area you want to go into! Of course, if you didn't do these subjects, you may not be able to get into CS.
I think your choices look good, however, it is ultimately up to you what you pick! I would say if you want to do CS, go for it. I have linked a resource below which suggests some good subjects to pick for a CS degree:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...mputing-degree

Hope this helps
Sian- UoP Rep
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plscanuhelpme)
Further maths is usually only a good idea to take as a fourth subject (as mentioned above)...
Maybe consider smth else (which gcse subjects did u find easiest?)
Hii! I heard that taking FM as a third isn’t a problem unless your applying for medicine but I’m not too sure how true this is 🥲

Preferably I’d like to take three since taking four is obviously a lot work - also at my sixth form in think in year 13 they make you drop your weakest subject if you do four anyway, but if I had to take four; at gcse I find geography and business the easiest but I don’t think they’re considered ‘useful’ for CS, I don’t mind sciences either, I just tend to have to put more work in to do well in them than business/geography, idk what do you think I should do lol (I’m open to any advice/suggestions) 😭
aesamira
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey

Lots of students do A-Level combinations like that and that is perfectly fine if it is an area you want to go into! Of course, if you didn't do these subjects, you may not be able to get into CS.
I think your choices look good, however, it is ultimately up to you what you pick! I would say if you want to do CS, go for it. I have linked a resource below which suggests some good subjects to pick for a CS degree:
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...mputing-degree

Hope this helps
Sian- UoP Rep
thank you so much, this was very reassuring for me haha

I’ll take a look at the link now, thank youuu
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads