does this count as extenuating circumstances

Watch
dmears55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I am considering reapplying to Uni as my current offer isn't satisfactory ( I want to reapply to Cambridge as well), I was thinking if the following could be extenuating circumstances, so firstly during Y12 the start was incredibly difficult as I started the english curriculum from the french curriculum, which had serious holes in the overlap, in addition, econ was very tricky as although i grew in an english speaking household, I was never taught english in a written context properly. Secondly, during the summer of Y12 we were evicted from our house following our landlord wanting to live in our house, this was seriously stressful and for three and a little months I had to live in friends of my family's houses, which was relatively dirsuptive. So would this qualify, idk if this is too little a problem or if it is appropriate?
Last edited by dmears55; 2 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes, these are extenuating circumstances - but only in the year you are taking your qualifications.
If you are taking a gap year, then a Uni could rightly claim that you had the opportunity to resit and improve your grades - ie. you can't have it both ways.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s certainly in the field of things that get submitted. There’s no harm in letting your choices know, the worst that can happen is they don’t take it into account.
dmears55
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Yes, these are extenuating circumstances - but only in the year you are taking your qualifications.
If you are taking a gap year, then a Uni could rightly claim that you had the opportunity to resit and improve your grades - ie. you can't have it both ways.
well I'm not exactly sitting exams anyway, due to corona, and as such even if they were barely in year thirteen well they still affected the pred grade given by my school because it affected my edu during sixth form as a whole. And are you actually saying they expect me to resit exams when I'm getting likely A*A*A*A? that sounds a little ridiculous. what I am trying to say is that despite the EC I got those grades
Last edited by dmears55; 2 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dmears55)
when I'm getting likely A*A*A*A.... what I am trying to say that despite the EC I got those grades
In which case you don't need any concessions do you.
Your referee should mention in the reference that despite family disruption you still got top grades, but thats about it.
ECs are only used where for instance its suggested that an applicant could have got AAA but is more likely to get BBB because of what has happened.
If you get A*s anyway, you dont need an 'excuse'.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
well I'm not exactly sitting exams anyway, due to corona, and as such even if they were barely in year thirteen well they still affected the pred grade given by my school because it affected my edu during sixth form as a whole. And are you actually saying they expect me to resit exams when I'm getting likely A*A*A*A? that sounds a little ridiculous. what I am trying to say is that despite the EC I got those grades
If your predictions/results are in that ballpark, it’s probably not going to make any difference to be honest.

Mitigating circumstances typically aren’t used to decide who gets an offer, or to reduce the grade requirements. They’re used at results time if they’re looking at you as a ‘near miss’ candidate.
dmears55
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
If your predictions/results are in that ballpark, it’s probably not going to make any difference to be honest.

Mitigating circumstances typically aren’t used to decide who gets an offer, or to reduce the grade requirements. They’re used at results time if they’re looking at you as a ‘near miss’ candidate.
well this is cambridge and basically, everyone has that, especially this year with inflated grades
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
well this is cambridge and basically, everyone has that, especially this year with inflated grades
Here’s the process for submitting it:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....umstances-form

I’d note that Cambs state that the fourth AL doesn’t really strengthen your app, (outside of Maths and presumably some related courses), so again if you end up with A*A*A*A, I don’t think it will make any material difference, but there is no harm in submitting it anyway.
dmears55
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Here’s the process for submitting it:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....umstances-form

I’d note that Cambs state that the fourth AL doesn’t really strengthen your app, (outside of Maths and presumably some related courses), so again if you end up with A*A*A*A, I don’t think it will make any material difference, but there is no harm in submitting it anyway.
yeah they say that but the vast majority who get have done 4 AL
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yeah they say that but the vast majority who get have done 4 AL
Yes, but it doesn't mean that's why they received an offer. There's likely to be a high degree of self-selection going on. IE. Tha majority of applicants are high performers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed