urgent: masters living costs....doing a masters in london or outside?

Watch
beyhive1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I live in London and i've just been accepted to start a Msc in bristol this september. I chose bristol as the uni has a very good reputation for the subject i wish to study in. However, i've realised that you don't receive a maintenance loan for postgraduate courses so i'm questioning how i'm able to afford living costs for the duration of my course.My tuition fee loan would only cover a month or two's worth of rent
I've also applied for their uni accommodation which ranges from £160-180 p/w. I wouldn't mind getting a job whilst studying but i don't think this would be enough. I have savings but didn't plan to spend much of it on this.
Would it be better if i were to apply for a masters at a uni where i could commute from or should i make it work with working and studying at bristol?
Any advice based on reasonable judgement or experience would be appreciated. Thank you
AHKS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beyhive1)
I live in London and i've just been accepted to start a Msc in bristol this september. I chose bristol as the uni has a very good reputation for the subject i wish to study in. However, i've realised that you don't receive a maintenance loan for postgraduate courses so i'm questioning how i'm able to afford living costs for the duration of my course.My tuition fee loan would only cover a month or two's worth of rent
I've also applied for their uni accommodation which ranges from £160-180 p/w. I wouldn't mind getting a job whilst studying but i don't think this would be enough. I have savings but didn't plan to spend much of it on this.
Would it be better if i were to apply for a masters at a uni where i could commute from or should i make it work with working and studying at bristol?
Any advice based on reasonable judgement or experience would be appreciated. Thank you
Several options to consider. Firstly decide if you are willing to take on debt; there are career development loans available, but they are not on the same terms as student loans so gain interest and need to be paid back regardless of your later income. Secondly how much time will you need to devote to studies to do well; is a significant amount of paid work viable alongside this? Would you consider living in a private multi occupancy property in a less popular area of Bristol; this will be considerably cheaper than the halls option? If none of these ideas appeal to you then studying nearer home and commuting daily may be a better idea; good thing with London area is there is much more choice than if you lived anywhere else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads