GST1_m4n543
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Whats your opinion on which university? How is it taught better than others? Just curious to know
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm presuming that you have the grades for Oxbridge?
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GST1_m4n543)
Whats your opinion on which university? How is it taught better than others? Just curious to know
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, KCL, UCL and Durham.
cleveranimal56
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
I'm presuming that you have the grades for Oxbridge?
They said "just curious to know."
Johnny ~
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
They said "just curious to know."
It's a pointless post when the answer is 'Oxbridge'. But I wonder if our lazy OP would have been content with an equally lazy response.
username19412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, KCL, UCL and Durham.
That plus Bristol, Nottingham and Warwick
3Engineer141592
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And Aberdeen also (for both English and Scots law)
Last edited by 3Engineer141592; 3 weeks ago
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
u do realise that a uni can be amazing for law even if teaching is just okay right

(Original post by 3Engineer141592)
And Aberdeen also (for both English and Scots law)
can u pass us whatever it is ur smoking because it must be some good ****
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by username19412)
plus Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Exeter. plus Liverpool, Lancaster and Leicester too. plus... you get the idea 😂
Last edited by EU Yakov; 3 weeks ago
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by username19412)
I would not disgree that they are in the next tier and are pretty close.
Grizwuld
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For a good law degree the university or institution is irrelevant; it is the student who will determine the matter.
RoyalBeams
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Grizwuld)
For a good law degree the university or institution is irrelevant; it is the student who will determine the matter.
Really?

Why keep that logic to law?

Which degrees do you think the university or institution will be relevant to get a good degree then?
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think, barring oxbridge, it would be impossible to estimate which uni is better for law based on teaching since you'd have to visit and experience every uni in the uk lol since it's hard for a league table to quantify. my uni is a pretty standard rg so the law degree is useful for stuff like employability ig and if I had wanted to do academia it's a well known institution so funding opportunities are more easily available but the teaching quality varies between great and shockingly bad, depends on the lecturer. I'd guess this is the same for all unis but some might have a better course structure than others that's easier
3Engineer141592
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EU Yakov)
can u pass us whatever it is ur smoking because it must be some good ****
Do you even look at the league tables or do you just think if it’s “not my uni it must be sh!t”. Actually interested if Aberdeen beats your uni for law (non Scots/English law specific), strongly suspect it does
Last edited by 3Engineer141592; 3 weeks ago
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you even look at the league tables or do you just think if it’s “not my uni it must be sh!t”. Actually interested if Aberdeen beats your uni for law (non Scots/English law specific), strongly suspect it does
"do you actually even look at the league tables" stop reading after this point :lol:
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of course it is prestigious. It’s a 525 year old ancient Scottish university with a rich history and heritage. Delivering the best courses in the UK from Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering, Law, and Psychology to name a few, from an astounding campus.

Consistently in the Top 25 UK uni rankings, and Scottish University of the year 2019 as well as Top 20 UK uni according to the 2020 Guardian. Aberdeen consistently outranks other Russel Group (postgrad research intense) universities with its research quality as well as high student spending and the award winning Sir Duncan Rice library.

The answer is yes, it is highly prestigious and offers a great deal to any prospective student wishing to enhance their education.
:lol:
dude did you even study law or are you just defending aberdeen's honour on random threads sksksk
Johnny ~
Report 3 weeks ago
This is one of those posts that are so brazenly wrong that it makes me wonder if it's just better to let the poster humiliate themselves.

Aberdeen is really not a "top" university when it comes to law. It's completely undistinguished. Since you seem to be obsessed with numbers and league tables...

Research: Came 35th/67 among law by GPA in REF 2014. Came in the bottom half of universities in RAE 2008. Don't expect REF 2021 to be much different.

Size of faculty: Had 25 staff make submissions in REF 2014. Compare that to 112 at Oxford, 77 at Cambridge, 65 at LSE.

Alumni presence in the legal sector: Don't know about Scotland, low to none in E&W/London. Take a look at Linkedin & Chambers Student.

Alumni salaries: Came 16th in the UK for the salaries of those in paid employment 5 years after graduation in 2017. Median salary of £33,500, on a par with Leeds and Manchester, and below most of the RG unis. Much lower than Oxford, LSE, KCL (i.e. the 'top' universities). Before you get excited about this, there is enormous bunching in salaries once you move beyond the 'top' unis, as you can see in the table. For example, Leicester graduates, who come 32nd in the table, still have an an average salary of £29,000, which isn't that far off Aberdeen.

Selectiveness: Take a look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6247090, point 9 and https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1428921. Offer rate was 80%+ across all of Aberdeen's law programmes. A-level entrants had a very low tariff (showing that, when we compare like to like, any perceived selectiveness comes down to the fact that Aberdeen predominantly recruits people with Scottish qualifications). For context, offer rate for Edinburgh is around the 30% mark.

Honestly, the only area where Aberdeen performs well is student satisfaction, where it has a slightly higher satisfaction percentages than the likes of Oxbridge, LSE and so on, coming 15th in the UK according to CUG. But many mediocre and irrelevant universities do well in that metric. The most satisfied law students are apparently found at UWL, Southampton Solent, Abertay Dundee, Roehampton, Sunderland, University of South Wales... hm.

The only reason why I'm going to the effort of doing the research for you is to demonstrate that you should probably stick to the subject areas and disciplines you're familar with instead of sticking your nose in other forums.
Johnny ~
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EU Yakov)
plus Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Exeter. plus Liverpool, Lancaster and Leicester too. plus... you get the idea 😂
This does raise a good point - the cut-off for 'top' is pretty subjective. And some posters will absolute do violence to that word in an attempt to present their university as being 'top'.
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
London Met
username19412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RoyalBeams)
I would not disgree that they are in the next tier and are pretty close.
Well, I'd say Bristol is on par with KCL and even has a better Law department. It's just the location of KCL that opens a lot of networking opportunities and it naturally attracts top students + students who get rejected from UCL and LSE. Nottingham also does pretty well when it comes to Law/Economics because they produce strong grads and there are a lot of statistics showing that the top city law firms trainees are mostly from Oxbridge, then Durham, and then Nottingham. These statistics are not 100% accurate but they do give a pretty strong indicator of the top universities. In subjects such as Maths/Econ Warwick is up there with Oxbridge so I would certainly not put it below KCL or Durham for any subject just because Warwick does have great prestige overall - similar prestige to LSE/UCL.

Also, to your original table, I would add Imperial because recently more and more top firms are recruiting from Imperial and it makes sense because the students going there are very able.
Last edited by username19412; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (89)
26.73%
England (110)
33.03%
Belgium (27)
8.11%
Germany (39)
11.71%
Spain (7)
2.1%