formation of contract

Watch this thread
aylee_
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi guys, I've been revising for my mocks, but something I've come across in a problem is confusing me

if a company only accepts offers via a form but an employee didnt know this and accepts a written offer, is this valid? would the answer still be the same if the offeror had previous dealings with them and knew they had to offer via form?

Tia!
one_two_three
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Yes, through vicarious liability. An employee is acting on behalf of the company, and provided they have acted in good faith, then the acceptance remains valid.

I think if it was known that the offer had to be accepted by form and no other way then you would have to look deeper into the situation - for example, is the offeree acting in a fraudulant manner? Is it to avoid being bound by contract? What was their intention and purpose when they accepted via letter? How has the company acted after the letter of acceptance is received? If the company commences their obligations under the contract upon receipt of the letter then the variation to acceptance has been allowed.
aylee_
Rep:
(Original post by one_two_three)
Yes, through vicarious liability. An employee is acting on behalf of the company, and provided they have acted in good faith, then the acceptance remains valid.

I think if it was known that the offer had to be accepted by form and no other way then you would have to look deeper into the situation - for example, is the offeree acting in a fraudulant manner? Is it to avoid being bound by contract? What was their intention and purpose when they accepted via letter? How has the company acted after the letter of acceptance is received? If the company commences their obligations under the contract upon receipt of the letter then the variation to acceptance has been allowed.
thankyou!
aylee_
Rep:
(Original post by one_two_three)

another quick question- in a frustrated contract, where there is part performance before frustration, can expenses be claimed?
one_two_three
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
As long as the expenses are reasonable. Both parties should return to the point at the beginning of the contract as if it was never formed which includes a refund of reasonable expenses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.27%
Take a gap year (17)
15.45%
Resit my exams (30)
27.27%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.45%
I don't know yet (11)
10%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.55%

Watched Threads