The Student Room Group

Interview via Microsoft Teams (children’s nursing - Greenwich)

Hi everyone, hopefully I’ll get a response to this 🤞🏻

I have my children’s nursing interview (for January 2022) start online next Wednesday (I’ll be a mature student, 28- total career change! Used to be a performer) and wanted to speak to those of you who may have already had your online interviews (for September 2021) to see what your experience was like? I’d hoped by now with the covid restrictions easing that it would be in person so I’d love to have a little insight as the what it was like and I’ve also read on here about maths/English tests etc so how does that work? My emailed interview invite doesn’t say anything about any tests so I’m a bit confused and wondered if I could speak to anyone who would be able to share their experience, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Sophie,

I had 5 interviews from November-April for Sept 2021 start, all were for adult nursing and none at Greenwich I'm afraid, but there is generally a lot of overlap in interview content between the four branches of nursing and across different universities, so I can give you some general advice.

Firstly, don't worry about anything you've read online regarding English and maths tests. From what I can see on the Greenwich website, they don't include tests as part of the interview, and if they were going to, they'd have let you know. Some universities test before the interview, but if you've been invited without one then it won't be an issue.

In terms of what to research/think about:

The 6 Cs of Nursing. I've linked some information about them at the bottom of this post - read about what they mean and how they're specifically applied to nursing, and think about how you've used each of them in your life. You might be asked to give an example of a time when you've used one of these qualities, so be prepared.

Three of the most common questions that come up in nursing interviews - Why do you want to be a nurse? Why this specific branch of nursing? Why this university? Have a rough idea of how you'll answer each of these. A lot of people struggle with the 'Why this university?' question, even for their top choice, so think about what it is about the university that appeals to you - the city? the reputation (either as a university or for your course)? recommendations from current/former students? the department? did you go to an open day/event (virtual or in-person) that appealed to you? Try not to say things like 'it's near where I live' or make it seem like you're going there for convenience, try and seem passionate about it.

What do you actually know about the role of a nurse and how the NHS works? You don't need to know everything, that's what the degree is for, but drop-out rates for nursing are so high due to people not really understanding what nurses do, then dropping out after their first placement when reality hits. Obviously that's costly for the university and they want to avoid high drop-out rates, so they'll want you to demonstrate that you really understand what you're getting yourself in for. You can talk about the research you've done, books/blogs you've read, podcasts you've listened to, shows you've watched etc. here. Have a look at the links I've added to the bottom of the post for ideas and resources for research.

Experience. You may not have been able to get direct clinical/hospital experience so far due to COVID, and universities will be understanding of that, but they'll want to know about relevant experience that demonstrates the skills requires for nursing. All of the examples of times you've used the 6 Cs might be helpful here - did a specific experience give you communication skills that will help you as a nurse? Compassion? Competence? Hint - nearly everything counts as relevant experience if you can justify why.

Any wider NHS things - issues the NHS is facing, how these can be addressed in nursing practise, evidence of your teamworking skills that will help you work with other members of the MDT (perhaps your experience as a performer will help here? Have you worked with other performers and had to be coordinated with them and work as a unit? Like I said - everything is relevant).

Some general tips for interviewing:

Easier said than done, but relax. I was particularly nervous before one of my interviews (it was the interview for my insurance choice, so I really wanted to get an offer), so I did one of those 5 minute Headspace meditations just before. Sounds strange but it really helped - and let me clear my mind of all the nerves and stress so that I could just focus on answering well. Perhaps a bit of an odd tip, but it worked!

Remember your ID (passport or driving license - provisional or full is fine). They'll ask to see it before the interview to verify your identity.

Have your personal statement next to you too - they may refer to something on it, or you may find that it helps you answer a question about your skills/experience/motivations for studying the course.

Wear something smart, but don't feel the need to go super fancy business-dress smart. A nice shirt or a smart dress is fine. You may want to tie your hair up if it's long, and keep makeup minimal (if you normally wear it) to look professional, but don't stress over how you look - as long as you look well-presented they're not really judging.

The prospect of an online interview might seem scary, and you may feel you'd rather have it in person, but having done all of mine I'm actually glad now that they were online. You feel more comfortable/relaxed and less like you're being judged when you're in your own home, and it saves you the added stress of having to travel and/or find the interview room in a busy university.

Smile and look enthusiastic - they're looking for people who genuinely have a passion for nursing, so let that show!

Some links you may find helpful:
Greenwich Interview Information - https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/apply/interviews/fehhs/bscchildrensnursing
NHS Careers Website - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/
The 6 Cs - https://www.england.nhs.uk/6cs/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/03/introducing-the-6cs.pdf
The Nursing & Midwifery Council - https://www.nmc.org.uk/
Royal College of Nursing - https://www.rcn.org.uk/
Nursing advice, including interview advice - https://www.nurses.co.uk/
Future Frontline (blog for current & aspiring healthcare students) nursing page - https://futurefrontline.co.uk/explore-the-mdt/nursing
All of those websites are good places to start with research - Future Frontline also have an Instagram page that I recommend following if you have an account. There are also lots of student nurses on Instagram who post about their experiences, including advice for aspiring students, which you might find helpful. Look at nursing-related hashtags or search 'nurse' in the search bar and some nursing accounts should come up, you can find more from there.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by millsr
Hi Sophie,

I had 5 interviews from November-April for Sept 2021 start, all were for adult nursing and none at Greenwich I'm afraid, but there is generally a lot of overlap in interview content between the four branches of nursing and across different universities, so I can give you some general advice.

Firstly, don't worry about anything you've read online regarding English and maths tests. From what I can see on the Greenwich website, they don't include tests as part of the interview, and if they were going to, they'd have let you know. Some universities test before the interview, but if you've been invited without one then it won't be an issue.

In terms of what to research/think about:

The 6 Cs of Nursing. I've linked some information about them at the bottom of this post - read about what they mean and how they're specifically applied to nursing, and think about how you've used each of them in your life. You might be asked to give an example of a time when you've used one of these qualities, so be prepared.

Three of the most common questions that come up in nursing interviews - Why do you want to be a nurse? Why this specific branch of nursing? Why this university? Have a rough idea of how you'll answer each of these. A lot of people struggle with the 'Why this university?' question, even for their top choice, so think about what it is about the university that appeals to you - the city? the reputation (either as a university or for your course)? recommendations from current/former students? the department? did you go to an open day/event (virtual or in-person) that appealed to you? Try not to say things like 'it's near where I live' or make it seem like you're going there for convenience, try and seem passionate about it.

What do you actually know about the role of a nurse and how the NHS works? You don't need to know everything, that's what the degree is for, but drop-out rates for nursing are so high due to people not really understanding what nurses do, then dropping out after their first placement when reality hits. Obviously that's costly for the university and they want to avoid high drop-out rates, so they'll want you to demonstrate that you really understand what you're getting yourself in for. You can talk about the research you've done, books/blogs you've read, podcasts you've listened to, shows you've watched etc. here. Have a look at the links I've added to the bottom of the post for ideas and resources for research.

Experience. You may not have been able to get direct clinical/hospital experience so far due to COVID, and universities will be understanding of that, but they'll want to know about relevant experience that demonstrates the skills requires for nursing. All of the examples of times you've used the 6 Cs might be helpful here - did a specific experience give you communication skills that will help you as a nurse? Compassion? Competence? Hint - nearly everything counts as relevant experience if you can justify why.

Any wider NHS things - issues the NHS is facing, how these can be addressed in nursing practise, evidence of your teamworking skills that will help you work with other members of the MDT (perhaps your experience as a performer will help here? Have you worked with other performers and had to be coordinated with them and work as a unit? Like I said - everything is relevant).

Some general tips for interviewing:

Easier said than done, but relax. I was particularly nervous before one of my interviews (it was the interview for my insurance choice, so I really wanted to get an offer), so I did one of those 5 minute Headspace meditations just before. Sounds strange but it really helped - and let me clear my mind of all the nerves and stress so that I could just focus on answering well. Perhaps a bit of an odd tip, but it worked!

Remember your ID (passport or driving license - provisional or full is fine). They'll ask to see it before the interview to verify your identity.

Have your personal statement next to you too - they may refer to something on it, or you may find that it helps you answer a question about your skills/experience/motivations for studying the course.

Wear something smart, but don't feel the need to go super fancy business-dress smart. A nice shirt or a smart dress is fine. You may want to tie your hair up if it's long, and keep makeup minimal (if you normally wear it) to look professional, but don't stress over how you look - as long as you look well-presented they're not really judging.

The prospect of an online interview might seem scary, and you may feel you'd rather have it in person, but having done all of mine I'm actually glad now that they were online. You feel more comfortable/relaxed and less like you're being judged when you're in your own home, and it saves you the added stress of having to travel and/or find the interview room in a busy university.

Smile and look enthusiastic - they're looking for people who genuinely have a passion for nursing, so let that show!

Some links you may find helpful:
Greenwich Interview Information - https://www.gre.ac.uk/study/apply/interviews/fehhs/bscchildrensnursing
NHS Careers Website - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/
The 6 Cs - https://www.england.nhs.uk/6cs/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/03/introducing-the-6cs.pdf
The Nursing & Midwifery Council - https://www.nmc.org.uk/
Royal College of Nursing - https://www.rcn.org.uk/
Nursing advice, including interview advice - https://www.nurses.co.uk/
Future Frontline (blog for current & aspiring healthcare students) nursing page - https://futurefrontline.co.uk/explore-the-mdt/nursing
All of those websites are good places to start with research - Future Frontline also have an Instagram page that I recommend following if you have an account. There are also lots of student nurses on Instagram who post about their experiences, including advice for aspiring students, which you might find helpful. Look at nursing-related hashtags or search 'nurse' in the search bar and some nursing accounts should come up, you can find more from there.

Good luck!

Oh gosh thank you so much for replying with such detail, I really appreciate it and this is going to help me so much 😊 - I’ve already started on a few of these so it seems I’m looking at the right things and heading in the right direction!

Thank you again for being so kind and taking the time to help me! Have a lovely evening x
Reply 3
Original post by Sophiepea
Hi everyone, hopefully I’ll get a response to this 🤞🏻

I have my children’s nursing interview (for January 2022) start online next Wednesday (I’ll be a mature student, 28- total career change! Used to be a performer) and wanted to speak to those of you who may have already had your online interviews (for September 2021) to see what your experience was like? I’d hoped by now with the covid restrictions easing that it would be in person so I’d love to have a little insight as the what it was like and I’ve also read on here about maths/English tests etc so how does that work? My emailed interview invite doesn’t say anything about any tests so I’m a bit confused and wondered if I could speak to anyone who would be able to share their experience, thank you :smile:

Very late but I hope it went well! Was the interview one to one? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest