adina262
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone remember if they looked at or went through clearing last year if any of the universities in West Midlands, clearing had biomedical spaces open.
I wanted to get a rough idea of how many spaces will be available for me if I want to enter that
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by adina262)
Does anyone remember if they looked at or went through clearing last year if any of the universities in West Midlands, clearing had biomedical spaces open.
I wanted to get a rough idea of how many spaces will be available for me if I want to enter that
What happened last year is likely to be totally different to this year. Results were originally announced under moderation so there were loads of courses in clearing. However when the moderation was removed there were suddenly double the amounts of people getting higher grades. The non moderated results showed 16% having A* whereas in a normal year there would be 8% getting the same result. Nobody knows what the grade inflation will be this year. Will the marking be as lax this year or will it be more like a normal year. It is impossible for anyone to know what will be in clearing this year for that reason. Also for this year there will be far fewer EC students as this will be the first year EC students will be required to pay overseas payments because of Brexit. Nobody knows what the position will be this year because of people deferring due to covid. I realise you are looking for some idea but this year is likely to be different to any other year for the above reasons and nobody can tell what the situation will be like due to the above.
adina262
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
What happened last year is likely to be totally different to this year. Results were originally announced under moderation so there were loads of courses in clearing. However when the moderation was removed there were suddenly double the amounts of people getting higher grades. The non moderated results showed 16% having A* whereas in a normal year there would be 8% getting the same result. Nobody knows what the grade inflation will be this year. Will the marking be as lax this year or will it be more like a normal year. It is impossible for anyone to know what will be in clearing this year for that reason. Also for this year there will be far fewer EC students as this will be the first year EC students will be required to pay overseas payments because of Brexit. Nobody knows what the position will be this year because of people deferring due to covid. I realise you are looking for some idea but this year is likely to be different to any other year for the above reasons and nobody can tell what the situation will be like due to the above.
Thank you this was really helpful. I just hope there will be enough clearing spaces for biomed courses
EstL
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Normally there will be some spaces for biomed every year even when during the pandemic. Just make sure that as soon as you receive your results, call up the unis straight away and keep ringing the days after results day as well. There are normally clearing spaces open throughout the whole week. Good luck
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, this year is unpredictable, but if it's any comfort I work at a decently ranked RG uni and our BioMed programme is in Clearing every year.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Biomed likes to pick up medicine rejects in clearing. There’s often spaces although they’re often for applicants with relatively high grades.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Middle ranking Unis like these will probably have spaces - no guarantees, but worth a call on Results Day.
Sussex, Kent, Keele, Plymouth, Aberystwyth etc,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed