Year 13 to Uni Transition - How long should my "holiday" be???

Watch
Ali-liyyah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. I hope you’re all good. For me, Yr 13 ends in a couple of weeks, and our official summer holidays start when the May half term begins. This is a lot of time to be at home, so I am planning on studying ahead for uni, and maybe start reading some books and taking notes.

By God’s grace, I’m hoping to study LLB Law at Surrey in September, and was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to go about taking notes, and studying before being taught anything.

Also, how long would you guys say I should spend of the holiday taking a break and relaxing, and how long should I spend studying and getting prepared for uni? Thanks so much in advance for all your help and advice x
thatsprettyrad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have some fun! Don’t worry about uni. I’m a final year law student and can honestly say there’s not much that I could reasonably have done pre-uni that would have helped me much with actual uni - first year is introductory. Enjoy yourself
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Hey guys. I hope you’re all good. For me, Yr 13 ends in a couple of weeks, and our official summer holidays start when the May half term begins. This is a lot of time to be at home, so I am planning on studying ahead for uni, and maybe start reading some books and taking notes.

By God’s grace, I’m hoping to study LLB Law at Surrey in September, and was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to go about taking notes, and studying before being taught anything.

Also, how long would you guys say I should spend of the holiday taking a break and relaxing, and how long should I spend studying and getting prepared for uni? Thanks so much in advance for all your help and advice x
Hi Ali-liyyah

Congratulations on nearly completing Year 13, I bet you're looking forward to a nice break after doing your A levels? I definitely was when I was sitting my exams in sixth form! It's great to hear you are hoping to study Law here at Surrey I am a second year Psychology student so hopefully I can be of some help and also answer any questions if you do have any?

I would say firstly, enjoy yourself!! You've deserved this long break from working so hard, so definitely make time to enjoy yourself!! Especially with the COVID-19 restrictions easing, you should be able to go out more with friends and family etc! Or even just resting at home binge-watching a TV series!! Is there anything you're watching at the moment? I've really got into Grey's Anatomy

As for preparing for university, the first year is normally just a introductory year, so it's meant to get everyone on the same level as some people might not have studied the subject before, meaning that the university are aware that some people may not have any or little knowledge on their subject. When I was started university, I didn't prepare much for note-taking/studying, I read over my A level notes on Psychology to refresh my memory on some topics, but other than that I would watch YouTube videos, on note-taking and what to take to university etc!! I would definitely have a look into some YouTube videos for studying at university, everyone finds studying techniques are different, so it may take you a while to find what's best for you. I wouldn't say you have to spend loads of time preparing, but it's always good to be aware of useful studying habitats before you get to university. My studying techniques are very different now to what they was at A Level, and this is something that has changed throughout my university degree, now I make sure to do previous reading before a lecture, I then do the lecture and combine any notes I took from the lecture and previous reading onto a main document. Your course may have a reading list available for you to do some reading before you start, however this might not be available for you until a few weeks before you start!

So go and enjoy yourself, celebrate and if you do have any questions, please let me know

Becca
anonymous2481
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Honestly, there's no point revising ahead, even Oxbridge students don't do that apart from reading the books on the course and even that is for half an hour to an hour a day; nothing serious. Just enjoy your time. I assume you worked incredibly hard for A levels, so just use this time to treat yourself before your uni starts, and you will get really busy when it does start.
Ali-liyyah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks so much guys for all your advice and support. All your tips are really helpful, so thanks.

Should I start planning what I’m going to take to uni? Around what time do you guys think I should start doing this, and does anyone have a general list of things that you should bring to uni with you? Because that would be really useful.

Also, just to prepare, what revision and note taking methods do you guys find useful (e.g: mind maps, revision cards etc)?

Thanks for all your help and advice again x
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much guys for all your advice and support. All your tips are really helpful, so thanks.

Should I start planning what I’m going to take to uni? Around what time do you guys think I should start doing this, and does anyone have a general list of things that you should bring to uni with you? Because that would be really useful.

Also, just to prepare, what revision and note taking methods do you guys find useful (e.g: mind maps, revision cards etc)?

Thanks for all your help and advice again x
Hi there

It's great to hear that our tips have been helpful.

I started all my university shopping a month before I was due to start. This just made sure I had enough time to get everything, not rush or stress!! You could start whenever suits you, if you'd like to start now you could get everything ready to go, or do it in little bits or wait a few weeks... it completely up to you and how you'd like to do it I didn't know what to take with me so I would watch various YouTube videos and also search stuff up online... I found this really helpful website that may be of some help to you: https://www.savethestudent.org/accom...niversity.html

In regards to my revision techniques, I used a range of mind-maps and revision cards to keep it fun and to switch it up a bit, so I didn't get bored

I hope this helps

Becca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads