green212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to work in a sciencey natural area working with theoretical physics and chemistry but have offers only to study computer science at university. should i take a gap year? what should I do?
interlanken-fall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hmmm I love chemistry and i wanna do it fonr uni how did you get computer science? did u apply to that along with chem and physics or did they give u that offer instead ?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you would rather do an undergraduate degree in physics or chemistry, then take a gap year and reapply.
But it's not like computer science won't have its applications in those subjects. There might be some relevant master's courses.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by green212)
I want to work in a sciencey natural area working with theoretical physics and chemistry but have offers only to study computer science at university. should i take a gap year? what should I do?
Hi there,

If you want to do a degree that involves both physics and chemistry, then it may be worth you looking into Natural Sciences degrees. At most universities (i.e. Bath, Durham, Exeter, UCL) this is formatted like a joint honours, where you choose 2 sciences and study certain modules from each. For example, at Bath you could study Natural Sciences with Chemistry and Physics as your subjects, and then take an auxiliary unit which could be psychology, management, education, maths for life sciences or another science module. You can find more info about the Bath NatSci course on this thread, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

If your interests lie in physics and chemistry, then a computer science degree will not encompass this so it is probably not worth going to study CompSci. Personally I would say it's better to take a gap year then re-apply for a more relevant course, and may work during your gap year so you can save up some money.

I hope this helps,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
interlanken-fall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by green212)
what I will say is that computing will help a lot for the natural sciences, coding is so important and used everywhere in physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (130)
42.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (35)
11.33%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (25)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.68%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.68%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.15%

Watched Threads