The Student Room Group

Cryptocurrency

who invests in crypto, let’s put strategies in this chat in because it’s my first time and I struggle to know when to buy the currencies, also which currency would you recommend buying that will have a lot of potential

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.A.M123
who invests in crypto, let’s put strategies in this chat in because it’s my first time and I struggle to know when to buy the currencies, also which currency would you recommend buying that will have a lot of potential

I wouldn't personally invest in crypto currencies, reason being they are predicated on nothing tangible. If you invest in a stock or share then that's a share in a company which has tangible assets with value. Crypto currency is simply imaginary. Nothing tangible exists. Just a number in a computer system. It's basically like a pyramid scheme. It needs more and more people to believe in the system to keep the value of the currency and as soon as those people run out then the price will collapse and so will the currency.
(edited 2 years ago)
damn today is brutal wow
luckily i got in early so it would literally have to drop 90% to break even
but what a loss
I had been riding the wave for about 3 years and sold half my stuff a few weeks when Elon started pumping and made a good return. Although ive never put more then a tiny percentage of my net worth into it.

Their is no strategy, its a ponzi scheme.
Reply 4
The market is moving madd but I’m in for the long term
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
I wouldn't personally invest in crypto currencies, reason being they are predicated on nothing tangible. If you invest in a stock or share then that's a share in a company which has tangible assets with value. Crypto currency is simply imaginary. Nothing tangible exists. Just a number in a computer system. It's basically like a pyramid scheme. It needs more and more people to believe in the system to keep the value of the currency and as soon as those people run out then the price will collapse and so will the currency.

For once I agree with you.
Reply 6
I think if we can afford a little it would be nice to have something invested in it but dont invest what you cant afford to lose. You never know the bubble could burst (i dont think so) but it might. I've amounted aabot £600 in free offers to get into crypto. Just keep an eye out on the good deals - no sign up cost etc. For example I came across this the other day. You download the app, enter the code in picture, and automatically got £10 in bitcoin free( admittedly its £9.70 now lol) Never know where the price goes but always worth keeping an eye out imo
Reply 7
Original post by grantmm
I think if we can afford a little it would be nice to have something invested in it but dont invest what you cant afford to lose. You never know the bubble could burst (i dont think so) but it might. I've amounted aabot £600 in free offers to get into crypto. Just keep an eye out on the good deals - no sign up cost etc. For example I came across this the other day. You download the app, enter the code in picture, and automatically got £10 in bitcoin free( admittedly its £9.70 now lol) Never know where the price goes but always worth keeping an eye out imo

Yeah an airdrop from uniswap was worth about $10,000 dollars... so chase the freebies!
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
I had been riding the wave for about 3 years and sold half my stuff a few weeks when Elon started pumping and made a good return. Although ive never put more then a tiny percentage of my net worth into it.

Their is no strategy, its a ponzi scheme.

If people approach crypto thinking this they will be very succepable to things like Shiba and safemoon. Those are not the same as something like Cardano with real uses and value. I've always looked on with bemusement at people all rushing into things like Shiba. They obviously haven't grasped why DOGE has prospects and so think that Shiba is the same. This "it's all a ponzi" sentiment seems like an explanation. People who think everything's a ponzi won't distinguish things that really are ponzis from things that really aren't.
Reply 9
Original post by S.A.M123

I like to ignore technical analysis and focus on fundamentals and news. Buy the dip and hodl.

My technical analysis response meme
1e468d4bd31de83cfe50bd0d393cc1b2.jpg

Cardano is very good. Just buy and stake.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Doge-1
If people approach crypto thinking this they will be very succepable to things like Shiba and safemoon. Those are not the same as something like Cardano with real uses and value. I've always looked on with bemusement at people all rushing into things like Shiba. They obviously haven't grasped why DOGE has prospects and so think that Shiba is the same. This "it's all a ponzi" sentiment seems like an explanation. People who think everything's a ponzi won't distinguish things that really are ponzis from things that really aren't.

I think Shiba Inu has come a long way since you wrote this post a few months back. Lots happening now in the Shiba ecosystem. May be worth a punt? Along with Vechain, another alt coin with real world uses.
Original post by mrlittlebigman
I think Shiba Inu has come a long way since you wrote this post a few months back. Lots happening now in the Shiba ecosystem. May be worth a punt? Along with Vechain, another alt coin with real world uses.

Shiba Inu has pumped like crazy $1000 invested a year ago could have yielded nearly $1 billion!
Original post by ebam_uk
Shiba Inu has pumped like crazy $1000 invested a year ago could have yielded nearly $1 billion!

I know. I have made a nice gain, as I got in October 4th, just before the massive pump up.
Original post by mrlittlebigman
I know. I have made a nice gain, as I got in October 4th, just before the massive pump up.

How did you know to buy before teh massive pump?

I participate in a crypto/blockchain program where I earn 0.5% rewards daily, 7 days per week, and it doesn't matter what the price of any crypto coin is. I'm probably one of the few who can sleep at nights and over the weekend not having to worry if bitcoin plunges by $30000 again or not. :-)

Peak Fud
Student. Made 1.1k but lost it. My strategy, especially if you don’t have a lot is find small coins before they moon, invest in them or max 3 if you have less than 5k. What I did wrong was diversifying with little money, no real impact on my portfolio at all.
As with any investment, invest what you can afford to lose and accept that crypto comes with perhaps more risk than the stock market as individual shares or approached as ETFs. Just assign it a % allocation in your portfolio and don't both trying to time it. Stick to projects that have real world application.
Original post by ebam_uk
How did you know to buy before teh massive pump?

I was just really lucky, a video popped up on my Youtube feed that morning about its potential and how it was due a break out to the upside, so I did a quick bit of reading around and decided to drop a bit into it as it was on Coinbase, then later that day, and the rest of Oct, it just did a 10X.
It's not just a meme like Doge, it has a whole ecosystem, with NFTs and its own blockchain planned soon apparently.
It has dropped back a bit today, so might still be worth a look!
Reply 19
which app do you guys use to buy crypto and why?

Quick Reply

Latest