approaches cognitive psychology HELP?? a level

Watch
idk__21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Does anyone know what to include for this 16 marker? for the A03 part?
I only have one paragraph to write about- not sure what else to include

'Outline the cngitive approach and Evaluate the research methods used by cognitive psychologists.'
E13579
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
STRENGTH = uses highly controlled/rigorous methods of study (highly scientific), lets researchers infer cognitive processes at work. Use of lab.exp produces reliable, objective data, meaning the study of the mind has established a credible scientific basis.
LIMITATION = machine reductionism. Despite similarities between operations of computer(inputs/outputs, storage system), analogy been criticised by many. Machine reductionism ignores influence of human emotion and motivation on cognitive system, and how it may affect ability to process info eg research shown memory may be affected by emotional factors eg anxiety on eyewitness testimonies.
LIMITATION = abstract nature. Can only infer mental processes from behaviour they observe in their research, consequently cognitive psych often suffers from being too abstract and theoretical in nature. Also experimental studies often use artificial stimuli and may not represent everyday memory, therefore may lack ecological validity.
STRENGTH = founded on soft determinism. Recognises our cognitive system can only operate within limits of what we know, but we are free to think before responding to a stimulus, this is a more interactionist position than the hard determinism suggested by other approaches.

Hope this helps!
idk__21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by E13579)
STRENGTH = uses highly controlled/rigorous methods of study (highly scientific), lets researchers infer cognitive processes at work. Use of lab.exp produces reliable, objective data, meaning the study of the mind has established a credible scientific basis.
LIMITATION = machine reductionism. Despite similarities between operations of computer(inputs/outputs, storage system), analogy been criticised by many. Machine reductionism ignores influence of human emotion and motivation on cognitive system, and how it may affect ability to process info eg research shown memory may be affected by emotional factors eg anxiety on eyewitness testimonies.
LIMITATION = abstract nature. Can only infer mental processes from behaviour they observe in their research, consequently cognitive psych often suffers from being too abstract and theoretical in nature. Also experimental studies often use artificial stimuli and may not represent everyday memory, therefore may lack ecological validity.
STRENGTH = founded on soft determinism. Recognises our cognitive system can only operate within limits of what we know, but we are free to think before responding to a stimulus, this is a more interactionist position than the hard determinism suggested by other approaches.

Hope this helps!
yes thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads