Latte Lamila
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Would anyone be able to show me their working for this question from the edexcel website? There is no mark scheme and I don’t know what to do.Name:  892784D7-B96C-4E33-9E98-C5893FAC3E51.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  108.6 KB
Last edited by Latte Lamila; 4 weeks ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What have you done so far?
I suggest you start by drawing a diagram and get an idea of what the shape APQC looks like and how it relates to the various vectors described.
Last edited by DFranklin; 4 weeks ago
Latte Lamila
Rep:
?
I worked out P to be (4.75, 2.75, 5) and Q (7,3,-2) . I think I’ve gone wrong somewhere because I still can’t figure out the shape of APQC. And for the area of the quadrilateral is it just the cross product?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you drawn a diagram as I suggested? Can you post it?
Latte Lamila
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
Have you drawn a diagram as I suggested? Can you post it?
My diagram is really terrible, all 4 sides of my quadrilateral would be different lengths according to my P and Q. I assume it’s meant to be a parallelogram since I know how to calculate the area of that. I’ll attach my working for P and Q too because that’s probably the issue. I apologise if the image turns out sideways I don’t know how to fix that. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  181.4 KB
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The points mentioned in the question are A, B, C, P and Q (and the plane π).

Without doing any calculations, but using the information given about how these things relate (e.g. that P is where the line AB intersects π), draw a diagram showing all the points, the relevant lines, and the plane π (you can represent π as a simple line intersecting both AB and BC).

Once you do that, you should be able to see how to represent the quadrilateral as "a shape you know how to find the area of" minus "another shape you know how to find the area of".

Note that two opposite sides of the quadrilateral are parts of the lines AB, BC, so it isn't a parallelogram.
Latte Lamila
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks so much for the explanation, when I redrew the diagram I was able to get the answer! For part b, would k be 2 and 8.6 and am I missing any other values? I used the scalar triple product.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Latte Lamila)
Thanks so much for the explanation, when I redrew the diagram I was able to get the answer! For part b, would k be 2 and 8.6 and am I missing any other values? I used the scalar triple product.
The approach sounds right. I haven't actually done any calculations, so I couldn't tell you if your values are right. (it's the method that matters, anyhow).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (45)
28.66%
No (112)
71.34%

Watched Threads