Oófie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 11, and I want to stay at my current school for sixth form, however they don't offer further maths, one of my original options. I want to do physics at uni, so will not doing further maths make me 'worse' applicant?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oófie)
I'm in year 11, and I want to stay at my current school for sixth form, however they don't offer further maths, one of my original options. I want to do physics at uni, so will not doing further maths make me 'worse' applicant?

Physics at uni isn't that competitive to get in (outside of Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial), so as long as you have the right A-level grades for the unis you want there's not much to worry about. Getting conditional offers is easy enough; meeting them is harder. Even then, further maths isn't required for those aforementioned unis' physics courses.

Further maths would be helpful in the first term or two of your course. Especially topics like complex numbers, vectors & matrices, polar co-ordinates and differential equations. After first year it won't matter much whether you did further maths or not.
Oófie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay thanks : ) That actually really helps. Do you think oxbridge will be much harder to get into without further maths?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oófie)
Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

To study physics at university you do not need further maths. It may help an application, however the focus is on physics and maths. It is better to have solid top grades in them rather than a lower grade and further maths. A university will make you an offer of three A-levels and this is what is important. If you achieve the entry requirements with physics and maths and your other subject, you will be fine.

I hope this helps.
Ethan - UOP rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (194)
43.79%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.29%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.9%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.64%

Watched Threads