Tips on how to write a CV with no work experience

Watch
elizabethxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm 17 next month and don't really have much work experience to list apart from baby sitting I used to do at church every few weeks. I used to be a prefect in high school, other than this i don't know what else to say. Can someone kindly tell me a structure I could try writing?

I feel like my current CV is so bad as I've been rejected from so many jobs and what I don't understand is how people from my school who failed all their GCSEs are all getting jobs whereas me who i actually did decent is getting rejected (from places like mcdonalds) ??
Last edited by elizabethxo; 4 weeks ago
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can try and help you, pm me!
elizabethxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by wizkid44)
I can try and help you, pm me!
It doesn’t let me as I’ve just created this account, it says my profile isn’t quite ready yet or something like that ughh

Could you maybe leave some tips on here instead then when it lets me pm you I will? Thank you (:
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The examples you give are great, employers won’t expect you to have loads of experience. Write a bit of preamble that youre enthusiastic, hard working and reliable and then list qualifications, achievements, the babysitting and any interesting hobbies.
wizkid44
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by elizabethxo)
It doesn’t let me as I’ve just created this account, it says my profile isn’t quite ready yet or something like that ughh

Could you maybe leave some tips on here instead then when it lets me pm you I will? Thank you (:
yeah sure. So for like a retail job. You want your name on the top, followed by your email, telephone and linked in (if you have it) on the next line

Then you want a short summary. Maybe four sentences. Driven and motivated student with an excellent academic record as well as involvement in a number of societies and teams, I have experience in dealing with ...

Then I’d follow with an education section. Put your school there, dates you’ve been there and maybe add your predicted grades there

Then followed by an experience section. So id put baby sitting and being a prefect. Put a few bullet points under each about the repsonbilities you had and what you needed to do; skills learnt ect

Then have an achievements/awards section. So if you’ve done maths challenge or Olympiad’s you can but that here, any online awards you’ve gotten, add your proficiency in word and ppt and stuff

Then have a skills section:
Like leadership, communication but put examples of where you’ve demonstrated

That should give you enough to work with hopefully
wizkid44
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like the person above said you can include your hobbies and interests as well
elizabethxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by wizkid44)
yeah sure. So for like a retail job. You want your name on the top, followed by your email, telephone and linked in (if you have it) on the next line

Then you want a short summary. Maybe four sentences. Driven and motivated student with an excellent academic record as well as involvement in a number of societies and teams, I have experience in dealing with ...

Then I’d follow with an education section. Put your school there, dates you’ve been there and maybe add your predicted grades there

Then followed by an experience section. So id put baby sitting and being a prefect. Put a few bullet points under each about the repsonbilities you had and what you needed to do; skills learnt ect

Then have an achievements/awards section. So if you’ve done maths challenge or Olympiad’s you can but that here, any online awards you’ve gotten, add your proficiency in word and ppt and stuff

Then have a skills section:
Like leadership, communication but put examples of where you’ve demonstrated

That should give you enough to work with hopefully
Thank you so much! (:
elizabethxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zarek)
The examples you give are great, employers won’t expect you to have loads of experience. Write a bit of preamble that youre enthusiastic, hard working and reliable and then list qualifications, achievements, the babysitting and any interesting hobbies.
Thank you! (:
wizkid44
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by elizabethxo)
Thank you so much! (:
No worries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (65)
36.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
10.23%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (11)
6.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (43)
24.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
13.64%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed