PPE Nottingham or Warwick

Watch this thread
FelWill
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need help deciding between studying at Warwick or Nottingham for 2021 entry (I have unconditional offers from both).

The dilemma lies in the trade off between the uni experience and the prestige/employability of the two. My perception of Nottingham is that it's a good uni for the former (I stayed in a mates dorm for a couple of days and it was a great time). Whereas my perception of Warwick is that it is better for the latter (especially as it is considered a target uni for the banking industry, which I want to go into) but that living there is inferior, possibly bleak experience.

I know no one would have studied at both but if you have any experience of one that will reinforce my perception or disprove it that would be helpful for me deciding which to firm.
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FelWill)
I need help deciding between studying at Warwick or Nottingham for 2021 entry (I have unconditional offers from both).

The dilemma lies in the trade off between the uni experience and the prestige/employability of the two. My perception of Nottingham is that it's a good uni for the former (I stayed in a mates dorm for a couple of days and it was a great time). Whereas my perception of Warwick is that it is better for the latter (especially as it is considered a target uni for the banking industry, which I want to go into) but that living there is inferior, possibly bleak experience.

I know no one would have studied at both but if you have any experience of one that will reinforce my perception or disprove it that would be helpful for me deciding which to firm.
Maybe it would be a closer comparison if it was Econ at Notts Vs PPE at Warwick but I've never really heard much about PPE and Nottingham. I think your assessment of the unis is broadly on the right lines. Notts will give you the superior social life and Warwick the superior academic life and career prospects.

Personally I think you're probably being a bit harsh of Warwick's social life, I have no doubt that it's not as good as Nottingham's but calling it a bleak experience without having experienced it is a bit far. I doubt it's that bad, most people I know who've gone there haven't complained about the social life. Social life at unis is more about what you make of it than the inherent social life available.

Warwick would indeed offer better career prospects, especially if you want to go into IB. I've not really heard about Nottingham's PPE course so I'm not sure that's a good thing. Naturally it comes down to value, perhaps a more enjoyable 3 years at uni now or perhaps a slightly better career for 30-40 years in the future. Only you can decide about how much you weigh up present benefits compared to discounted future benefits. But if you're wanting to go into IB then it's probably an easier choice because going to a target is important, especially if you're not studying straight Econ or STEM
Last edited by BenRyan99; 1 year ago
FelWill
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Maybe it would be a closer comparison if it was Econ at Notts Vs PPE at Warwick but I've never really heard much about PPE and Nottingham. I think your assessment of the unis is broadly on the right lines. Notts will give you the superior social life and Warwick the superior academic life and career prospects.

Personally I think you're probably being a bit harsh of Warwick's social life, I have no doubt that it's not as good as Nottingham's but calling it a bleak experience without having experienced it is a bit far. I doubt it's that bad, most people I know who've gone there haven't complained about the social life. Social life at unis is more about what you make of it than the inherent social life available.

Warwick would indeed offer better career prospects, especially if you want to go into IB. I've not really heard about Nottingham's PPE course so I'm not sure that's a good thing. Naturally it comes down to value, perhaps a more enjoyable 3 years at uni now or perhaps a slightly better career for 30-40 years in the future. Only you can decide about how much you weigh up present benefits compared to discounted future benefits. But if you're wanting to go into IB then it's probably an easier choice because going to a target is important, especially if you're not studying straight Econ or STEM
Thanks for the response, what you said about having not heard about PPE at Nottingham is interesting. And you are right, the rest of uni life is what you make it. I'm probably going to firm Warwick this weekend and save myself the hassle of further contemplation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads