grading system at uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i know this has been done before, but i couldn't find the thread, but roughly which percentages equate to 1sts, 2-2s etc... just got 58 on something and am so very disappointed (damn group work). thats a 2-2 isn't it?

how come i got good marks last year but it didn't bloody count? :mad:

thanks in advance
rednirt
Rep:
?
cheers PQ, much appreciated, thats pretty much the system in pompey from what i can recall from last year. I hate damn group work! It's not fair that other people being slow and useless should drag other marks down - especailly in second and third years.

sorry. end of rant.
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just checked my booklet thing for Notts Uni:

1st 100-70%
2:1 69-60%
2:2 59-50%
3rd 49-40%

So yep, you've got a 2:2 there, but only just! Its nearly a 2:1.
I'm not keen on group work either, always seem to do better on my own.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was charged with the unfortunate responsiblity of marking a 2nd year group's first piece of degree standard work. A lot of people in my group weren't used to getting 2i's!
rednirt
Rep:
?
that sounds like a good idea. this piece doesn't have that though - ended up busting a gut becasue we'd devised our whole experiment and started doing it, but the one task two of the other people had to do was fill in our ethics form - which they did wrong, a week before we had to hand it in! In psychology, no ethics form before you do an experiment means big trouble... so i had to rush around and finish it because my tutor only knows me (cos i'm basically the onle one who ever turns up).

Oh well, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna be kissing my chances of a 1st away at this rate.
rednirt
Rep:
?
it is! my other half was really sweet and came down to help me revise for my stats cos he's really good at maths, but even he ended up saying something to the effect of "wow, maybe you're not doing a mickey mouse subject"

i've got mine in three weeks and i'm cacking my pants
rednirt
Rep:
?
its not so much as i'm feeling lazy, more like overwhelmed! The psychology course this year isn't as well organised (even though its a better syllabus) and in criminology we have mountains of work considering its my minor.

Doesn't help that my tutor thinks the sun shines out of my behind and keeps making me feel guilty for not starting work on my third year project yet!! :eek:
!Laxy!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is it true it is impossible to get over 80%?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On my course they still mark against the peers in the second and third years, but this is because a lot of the assignments are a loose nature and you can really make them as simple or as complicated as you want. If everybody does really good assignments then your mark will be lower.

This is why I got a good grade last year, its not because I am good (well I at least I don't think I am when you have people like Pig), but because the half the course were simply crap. The only problem is a lot of people have coaugt up this year
rednirt
Rep:
?
(Original post by !Laxy!)
i'm not sure... some of my friends have got 95% before (but they are doing sports dev. :p: joke.)
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is possible, I got above 80% in one assignment, that was the highest mark on the entire course for that assignment and I worked my guts off for it. To get over 80% you have to be very very good or work very hard.
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
My 2nd yr 1st semester exams scared the crap out of me...the step up can be HUGE
Just what I wanted to hear 5 days before my first exam! I really hope there isn't a great deal of difference for me between 1st and second years, and I'm also glad my course doesn't have any of this grading malarky.
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friend said he got 82 or something in an essay, and it would have been higher had he not been nasty about Margret Thatcher the whole way through.
Another claimed that he got 80 an an economics essay, where he only wrote 1000 words instead of 1500 or something. Hmmm :confused:
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had a module that was group work last year - we had a module in the first semester that was about all different topics and applications related to chemistry, and as it wasn't very in-depth or hard chemistry I found it really interesting, and as you could chose any of the subjects to do the coursework on, I ended up with 78%. The group module was in the second semester, and was work relating to the first module, such as presentations, posters and also an essay. I ended up being the only female working with 3 lads, 1 of which was extremely lazy, one was fairly quiet but did do some of the work, one was good with computers so instead of doing the research spent ages making our poster/presentation...as a result I ended up doing most of the basic work/research and when we were asked to do our peer assessment I got good marks (the lazy guy seemed to think if he told me he'd given me 14 out of 15, I'd give him a good mark...I still gave him a 5 and thought that was being generous!) and then did my essay on the topic marked by the pervy old guy, and overall ended up with 81%.

Unfortunately none of my other modules have been as successful as those two!
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wooo... just got most of my 1st semester marks... got 71% in psychology (i'm pretty chuffed at that) and i got 75% on my maths project (not sure how, was really nasty group work- but we all kinda abandoned our groups cos we all had to hand it in indvidually anyway so i did half of it with my friends)... that means that i now only need 0.95% from my last 3 exams (each worth 10%) to pass the maths course which i'm pleased with cos i was so ill during my exams (ie. not leaving my flat for days at a time because i didn't have enough energy to go anywhere)

lou xxx
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It seems like so long ago that I was worrying about my marks, but it was only a couple of years!!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (48)
18.18%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (107)
40.53%
Nope, not that interesting (109)
41.29%

Watched Threads